What is it, and where?

How well do you know Leeds?
rikj

What is it, and where?

Post by rikj »

Hope this one hasn’t been done before.

Maybe unfair on the “where”, as it is (not far) off the beaten path, and the “what” is only inferred from its situation; situation in the true sense of the word.

In other words,I don’t know for sure what this is, but can take a good guess from where it is.

The first clue would be to think about form and function.
Attachments
arch.jpg
arch.jpg (774.29 KiB) Viewed 11373 times

sparky415

Re: What is it, and where?

Post by sparky415 »

Is there a slight archway at the bottom of the wall??
Come on Leeds United!

liits

Post by liits »

Is it an ice house somewhere?

rikj

Post by rikj »

Not an ice house, but it does look similar.

Sparky415 is right that there is an arch. On old maps it is marked "Arch". Arches support things above, and/or allow things to pass through them.

People still walk over this one, though I think few of them know they are walking over the arch.

A clue is that the arch used to carry something other than people.

jim

Post by jim »

Aqueduct?

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I'm thinking about Adel woods or Golden Achre as it is reminiscent of a brief glimpse on a cycle through them. I'm probably absolutely incorrect though.

rikj

Post by rikj »

Towards that way BarFly, but not so far out.

Jim is bang on with aqueduct. Though at this point it is referred to as a conduit.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I seem to recall some kind of aquaduct in The Hollies at Meanwood - but its a long time ago since I was in there :?: :?:
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

I was in The Hollies yesterday, but didn't notice the above.

rikj

Post by rikj »

The Hollies is correct, though you would have to scramble off the path and down a bank to get this view. The path runs at the top of the wall.

It looks like the grandly named Conduit of the Leeds Water Works crossed over the access to a small quarry; and the access track was spanned by running the conduit over this arch. The other end of the small tunnel is completely earthed over,and the tunnel/arch filled to nearly the roof.

Interesting to see the seemingly rough and ready construction. It makes you wonder if this was the construction standard of the whole conduit.

The (hopefully) attached map shows how the arch and conduit appear on the mid 1800 OS map. This is only my reading of things, and might be wrong.
Attachments
ConduitArch.jpeg
ConduitArch.jpeg (55.53 KiB) Viewed 11173 times