Where is this plaque to be found?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Where is this plaque to be found?

Post by Leodian »

Where is this plaque to be found on a buidling in LS2 (I would have said in the centre of Leeds, but LS2 may not be considered central by some). I suspect that though the building is probably well-known the slightly hidden plaque is not usually noticed. I took the photo on February 25 2015. Cryptic clues for now to put readers in the right frame of mind ;).
Attachments
003R.jpg
003R.jpg (99.48 KiB) Viewed 11585 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re: Where is this plaque to be found?

Post by Leodian »

56 views so far but no response, so it may be too boring a plaque or too hard to know its location. This photo (taken Feb 25 2015) is a visual clue and also accounts for the cryptic "frame" in my first post ;). I had originally thought of starting a thread about this magnificent window frame but decided to use the plaque as a W&W (the plaque is just below the frame).
Attachments
004R.jpg
004R.jpg (141.13 KiB) Viewed 11528 times

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Only half of it still standing.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Is it East or is it West

Number 7, no not Boots

:arrow:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Always though this was in a strange spot. Does anyone ever cut through there now to get to the Lady?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Nice cryptic hints all. :)

For those who may not know the building is 'Seven Eastgate'. The superb window and the plaque are on the side in the open space connecting Eastgate and Lady Lane. That space intrigues me as to why it is there as it is very little extra walking to go via Vicar Lane.
Attachments
009R.jpg
009R.jpg (123.74 KiB) Viewed 11488 times

LS1

Post by LS1 »

It was originally part of Harewood St. if you look on the old maps. I guess it was kept like that because of that. Likely some further map studying would confirm if it was still Harewood St when these buildings were completed.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Hi Leo, I seem to remember that this is the building where I signed on(!) for the RAF in May 1947 just 17 years old!
It was the combined Army and RAF recruiting Office at the time. (The one for the RN was next to the West Riding
(Postmen's Pub!)on Wellington Street). I wanted to join THE ARMY(!) but the Colour Sgt on the desk said I was
Too Young then for the army and to come back when I was 18 in 9 months! As an afterthought he called me back
and said " If you are that keen to join up,just nip upstairs (Where else?)and see the RAF Recruiting SGT. they are
wanting young lads to join the newly reformed Boy Entrant Scheme. You need to be 15 and a half to 17 and a half
and fit! I thought "Why not?" so up I went and got my papers for father to sign! That was me for the next 8 years
(+ 4 on Reserve).Regrets? none at all! I saw Egypt Iraq,Germany, Belgium and Scotland in that time!
Sorry Leo for digressing! I can remember the patio and steps down to Lady Lane and the West Yorkshire Bus Stn.
Can't remember the Plaque (If it was installed then?),or the window. There was/were some shrubbery and flowers on
the patio.

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Sorry! Just spotted the plaque installation Date!! Bit after my time!
Only 50 yrs!
Arry

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Keep on digressing Arry
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]