How well do you know Leeds?
LS1

Re: Where is this street sign located?

Post by LS1 »

In for a Penny....

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Leodian wrote:I like the cryptic clues that have been given ;).

I look forward to finding more about the "Features in a scandalous story of police brutality".
To the tune of Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore:

"The River Aire is chilly and deep, Ol-u-wale;
Never trust the Leeds police, Ol-u-wale."

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Either Pitfall Street is very well-known or the cryptic clues were excellent, as it is clear that the location was easy for probably most who read this thread. For anyone who does not know the very short Pitfall Street is on the left coming along Call Lane immediately before that meets Lower Briggate. From maps that I've seen Pitfall Street seems to be a very old street from possibly at least the earlyish 1800s. The photo here (taken Feb 12 2015) shows its location.

If the cryptic clues were no help then the money clues in them will refer to the nearby New Penny gay pub/bar. As for the police context that will be the tragic case of David Oluwale whose body was recovered from the close-by River Aire in 1969 (I had forgotten about that connection to the area until I saw some of the replies).
Attachments
Pitfall Street from Call Lane on Feb 12 2015.
Pitfall Street from Call Lane on Feb 12 2015.
004R.jpg (98.35 KiB) Viewed 9063 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Well named street, I remember reading about in the 1950s. a motorist on a foggy night turned down there and finished up in the river. he drowned but don't recall if there were passengers.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

There is an old thread on street names Leodian in which this came up - was rather before your time though :!:

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote:There is an old thread on street names Leodian in which this came up - was rather before your time though :!:
Cheers Chameleon. :)

I did try a search for Pitfall Street using the SL search function before I started the thread but got nothing. Strangely I have just now done a search and got lots of results in various threads. How very odd! This is the link to a 'Street names' thread:- http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=20

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Attachments
Pitfall st from an early time
Pitfall st from an early time
P1020254.jpg (498.59 KiB) Viewed 9010 times
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks hyperion for that most interesting information. From it I have found that the water engine would have been Sorocold's, about which there is some information in this webpage in a 'Discovering Leeds' section in the Leeds City Council website. This is the link (I have reduced a very long url):- http://tinyurl.com/9le57v2