Re: Where is this

Post by TABBYCAT »

Yup would say that's it.

http://goo.gl/maps/Ogfaz

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Correct!

Wonder how they managed to hold on to the railings during the war?

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Special dispensation for churches I initially thought until I read this piece taken fron here...
http://www.buildingconservation.com/art ... ilings.htm

" Many church railings were removed during World War II, ostensibly to be melted down in a morale-boosting drive to help the war effort. The reality was that the iron could not be reused and more often than not it was simply dumped at sea. Other railings that survived this fate may now be poorly maintained or subject to poor quality repair work: while the local handyman may be cheap and convenient, hiring him to carry out repairs can have devastating consequences. "

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

was told by a local girl working opposite in the Coop that it is sold and to be a Mosque, can't say if that is so for sure. if so what will the new owners do about the very large cross on the wall at the rear of the building (coming up Wesley Street)

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Planning permission for this was refused in 2010

Conversion of Methodist Church to form 15 bed self-contained flats plus self-contained area for Care Assistant and car parking/external ramps

Leeds City Council http://tinyurl.com/otaqne8
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Its strange how sometimes people at the bottom of the ladder do get genuine info. before any one else.. Many years ago when I lived in Bristol I was having a drink with some local lads and happened to say I was going on holiday and travelling with a local airline "Paramount Airways". one of the boys wives heard this and said to me "You had better be quick as they are going bankrupt" a bit scornful I asked her where she had heard this tale. she replied that her job was cleaning telephones for business companies and while she was working at the Airline office the office cleaner told her. I took that with a pinch of salt but a couple of months later the Airline went into liquidation overnight.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

j.c.d. wrote:was told by a local girl working opposite in the Coop that it is sold and to be a Mosque, can't say if that is so for sure. if so what will the new owners do about the very large cross on the wall at the rear of the building (coming up Wesley Street)
Though I can't provide any proof to dispute this ,there are several things I could suggest that would make it unlikely

1)The Mosque just off Beeston Hill is less than a mile away. While Islam may be accelerating towards being the biggest actively participated religion (based on attendance at worship) I can't see the need for another Mosque so close.
2)The footprint isn't big enough. In my experience the Mosque's i've seen in the UK are grand affairs requiring a much bigger footprint.
3)Its previous use and as pointed out "decoration". The most famous conversion is in Istanbul but given the "roman" and catholic influence it was an impressive structure. It certainly doesn't look like this understated, as is the methodist way, chapel is ripe for conversion.

What I could say is that a Muslim community centre or mudassar(?) (school for after school religious education) are much more likely.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/