Where is this 1924 date?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo today (October 9 2014, so presumably 90 years after the building it is on was built). What and where is the building? I've done a search for 1924 and this 1924 does not seem to have been used before as a W&W.
Attachments
007R.jpg
007R.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

88 views so far but no responses. It's either harder than I thought or just so easy nobody wants to give even a cryptic clue! Non-cryptic clue: It's in LS1.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Is it the garret bedrooms of the Comfort Hotel Bishopgate Street ??The curtains and the angle seem rather like what you see from trains leaving Leeds for the east ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BLAKEY wrote: Is it the garret bedrooms of the Comfort Hotel Bishopgate Street ??The curtains and the angle seem rather like what you see from trains leaving Leeds for the east ?? Well done Blakey . Yes it is what I know of as the Discovery Inn (not that I've ever been in the inn ). I was a bit surprised to spot the date as I was coming out of the Neville Street 'tunnel' after having been to the Dark Arches area and I just happened to look up (almost breaking my neck!) and spotted the 1924 date. This photo (also taken on October 9 2014) shows the building with the date stone high up on the left.PS. Currently at least there is no access across the foot/road bridge over the river at the Dark Arches. There is a diversion outside for people needing to go that way.    
Attachments
006R.jpg
006R.jpg (96.12 KiB) Viewed 4118 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Thanks Leodian, and sorry I got the name wrong - I had a feeling that "Comfort" wasn't right but knew it was a somewhat unusual name for a hotel. Now I may be very wrong here, but wasn't it originally the bedrooms of the Griffin when that was in its prime ?? - although it must have been a later extension in 1924 as the Griffin is older than that.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Well done BLAKEY i would never have got that one having said that i have never got any yet.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

tilly wrote: Well done BLAKEY i would never have got that one having said that i have never got any yet. It was the somewhat dubious looking net curtains, when seen from the trains, that made it stick in my mind and have done for many years.     

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BLAKEY wrote: Thanks Leodian, and sorry I got the name wrong - I had a feeling that "Comfort" wasn't right but knew it was a somewhat unusual name for a hotel. Now I may be very wrong here, but wasn't it originally the bedrooms of the Griffin when that was in its prime ?? - although it must have been a later extension in 1924 as the Griffin is older than that. Hiya Blakey .It did use to be called the Comfort Inn but I'm unsure when its name changed to the Discovery Inn. I'm unsure of the Griffin connection but my feeling is that I have read somewhere that it was (still is?) part of the Griffin.Recognising a place by its curtains amused me . It's clearly time they were changed!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Leodian wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Thanks Leodian, and sorry I got the name wrong - I had a feeling that "Comfort" wasn't right but knew it was a somewhat unusual name for a hotel. Now I may be very wrong here, but wasn't it originally the bedrooms of the Griffin when that was in its prime ?? - although it must have been a later extension in 1924 as the Griffin is older than that. Hiya Blakey .It did use to be called the Comfort Inn but I'm unsure when its name changed to the Discovery Inn. I'm unsure of the Griffin connection but my feeling is that I have read somewhere that it was (still is?) part of the Griffin.Recognising a place by its curtains amused me . It's clearly time they were changed! I think that when the Griffin closed the Discovery used the bedrooms that had been the Griffin and then relocated the entrance to the back. Not sure if both hotels were in operation at the same time however...

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Thanks Leo and LS1 - at least perhaps I'm not "losing it" then after all