Retro Graffiti...

How well do you know Leeds?
sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

An easy one this, but anyone know where this is. The graffiti is left over from the 1990's believe it or not, and is the least vulgar I have seen. Most graffiti refering to the Poll Tax used the F word!
Attachments
ad39ee.jpg
ad39ee.jpg (252.63 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Come on Leeds United!

rikj

Post by rikj »

Railway bridge over the Ring Road at Horsforth?

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

Well, i guess i made it too easy.......it's unusual for graffiti to last so long, it's got to be about 23 years old......
Come on Leeds United!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Around the back of Makro there's some graffitti for Led Zep and Status Quo on one of the old railway bridges.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I'd thought about starting a similar thread to see if folks could recall seeing graffiti that adorned the sides of buildings / bridges etc for decades. I can recall that for many years on the side of Elland Road stadium (the 'new' stand side) was the legend painted in white gloss paint "Hudds Must Die!"...! As a result of this a friend of mine at school started a Leeds United fanzine called "Hudds Must Die!". Clearly the slogan meant "Huddersfield Town FC Must Die" but the shortened version had a catchier ring to it. Also there used to be a few places around Harehills where there was "Free Kashmir" daubed on walls as well as "Khilafah" which I later learned to mean muslim state or something. Probably the most ubiquitous graffiti of yesteryear to be seen scrawled / sprayed onto walls or carved into tree bark was the old logo for the National Front which was an amalgamation of the capital letters 'N' and 'F'. Check out the photo of I took of one such bit of graffiti in Hawksworth woods which had been carved into a tree trunk maybe a couple of decades ago. The growth of the tree since has made this 'NF' symbol become monstrous in siz, probably 14" wide x 12" high. Plus not forgetting of course the many examples of swastika's that have been drawn (usually the wrong way round!) that similarly came from the 1970s era of fanatical nationalism / racism. Sparky, I see the 'Pay No Poll Tax' painted on the Harrogate Line rail bridge over the ring road virtually everyday. I wish I knew what paint they used to paint that on with as I'd like to paint my railings with it as it seems to be indestructable!
Attachments
IMAG0680.jpg
IMAG0680.jpg (705.86 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge