Where Is This

How well do you know Leeds?
tilly

Post by tilly »

Where can you see this? I have posted this under transport (sorry) could the goat be classed has transport?    
Attachments
014e.jpg
014e.jpg (55.8 KiB) Viewed 3303 times
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Never gave this place a second glance when I used to window shop at Cecil Gee.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

What is now Starbucks, Jnc of Albion St./Commercial St.

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Moved it out of 'transport' for you.I'd never heard of that building society before.    

tilly

Post by tilly »

Brunel wrote: What is now Starbucks, Jnc of Albion St./Commercial St. Spot on Brunel.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

Is it some reference to devil worshipping? The goat I mean?
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

tilly

Post by tilly »

jonleeds wrote: Is it some reference to devil worshipping? The goat I mean? Are you kidding jonleeds. lol

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jonleeds wrote: Is it some reference to devil worshipping? The goat I mean? Surely an heraldic hung sheep, an important symbol of prosperity in such setting.

tilly

Post by tilly »

chameleon wrote: jonleeds wrote: Is it some reference to devil worshipping? The goat I mean? Surely an heraldic hung sheep, an important symbol of prosperity in such setting. Looking at it I think you are right but you must remember there were not many sheep or goats in Hunslet when I were a lad so they all look the same to me.lol Ps its the head at the top that I thought was a goat.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Croggy1 wrote: Moved it out of 'transport' for you.I'd never heard of that building society before.     Britannia Building Society to you. I recall this building as Britannia even early 90's I think.Here starteth the sermon:-Britannia traces its history back to 1856, when the Leek and Moorlands Permanent Benefit Building Society was formed. By 1857, the Society had 204 members and by 1921, it had assets in excess of £1m. The Society evolved into today's Britannia through a series of mergers, firstly with Longton Mutual Permanent Benefit Building Society in 1938 and notably with the NALGO Building Society in 1960—by which time it had become one of the ten largest societies, the Westbourne Park in 1965 (leading to a change of name to Leek and Westbourne) and with the Eastern Counties (as Leek, Westbourne and Eastern Counties) in 1974. A further merger in 1975 with the Oldbury Britannia Building Society saw the change of name to Britannia.[6]Britannia also includes the engagements of the former Colne and District Permanent Benefit (1977), Westbury and District Permanent (1977), Glantawe Permanent, The (197, Stoke-on-Trent Permanent (1980), Alfreton (1981), Wellington (Somerset) and District (1981), Denton (1981), Over Darwen (1981), Driffield (1982), Colne (1983), Welsh Economic (1984), Blackheath (1986) and Mornington (1991) building societies.Mornington? Crescent?