The world famous Leeds Brick Collectors Club

How well do you know Leeds?
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

grumpytramp wrote: GREENSIDE, Pudsey [Drift mine] working Better Bed & Fireclay [used for refractory, sanitary and glazed goods] Site at Green Top/Green Lane shows as brick works 1908, and disused brickworks 1921.No mine shows but just south in a field near Bankhouse lane a coal pit is clearly marked and spoil heaps remained for years. Doesn't show as a drift mine though. The site of the brickworks was close to the railway tunnel.The site eventually had an industrial unit built on the west end now Bell Bros.. The east end car park is the remains of the brickyard. Wonder if embossed bricks can be found around the area!!......

JenA

Post by JenA »

chemimike wrote: Advert from 1916 directory You guys are legends - thank you.I was just about to ask if anyone had seen their ad referred to in the 1916 list!Fascinating, but frustrating at the same time. The building I'm looking at was constructed 1905 and comprises red brick by J.M&S, glazed brick and buff terracotta units that are not marked with the manufacturer.The later ad makes no mention of terracotta, which was of a different manufacturing type to bricks.I guess I may never find out exactly who made the terracotta, but I expect that if it wasn't them, it was someone they worked with/nearby.Anyone got experience in terracotta manufacturers? (It's worth asking!) I presume from looking at the examples that they will come under brick and tile manufacturers in the early directory lists? I expect if it wasn't them, even though they supplied the bricks, that the terracotta could have come direct from Leeds Fireclay Co. or one of their branch manufacturers, which were many!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

JenA wrote: Hi Everyone, A N Braithwaite & Co (1923-1929) and that they were on Ingram Road and Shafton Lane in Holbeck. http://www.penmorfa.com/bricks/england4b.htmlShows you the A N B & Co embossing for Braithwaites bricksOther brick fans check out the Bramley Bricks directly below.The Bramley site is a rather smart industrial estate today.    

JenA

Post by JenA »

The Parksider wrote: JenA wrote: Hi Everyone, A N Braithwaite & Co (1923-1929) and that they were on Ingram Road and Shafton Lane in Holbeck. http://www.penmorfa.com/bricks/england4b.htmlShows you the A N B & Co embossing for Braithwaites bricks Thanks - have seen the penmorfa website - great pics!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

JenA wrote: Thanks - have seen the penmorfa website - great pics! Lynn & Jones Factory sits on the site today. Given that they're pulling Holbecks old terrraces and backs down maybe a few more bricks can be found with the embossments. On the Terracotta thing as is explained on Wiki this was a material that could be moulded and carved and therefore needed craftsmen to produce it so I would guess (prompting those who know better to come in here) that you are right and the finger points to the Leeds Fireclay Company.The 1908 Godfrey Map refers to LFC's "Burmantofts Works (Terra Cotta)" The Wortley branches are referred to as Fire brick, fire clay (x2) and red brick.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a nice and fun report on page 7 of the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (October 11 2014) about a Leeds brick collector (Neil Brittlebank). Neil will be 'Mr September' in a 2015 'Dull Men Club' annual calendar. This is a link to the online YEP report:- http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6889789
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

A few pics. of the red shale at the site of the West Yorks pit.                                    http://imgur.com/a/P7iXg

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Brunel wrote:                      A few pics. of the red shale at the site of the West Yorks pit.                                    http://imgur.com/a/P7iXg They are very interesting photos Brunel. I have a possible word of caution though about the Imgur site. I clicked on the site's name and it brought up a gallery of images. One showed a fascinating spiral shaped cloudlike item. Clicking on that small version brought up a larger version but immediately also a high security risk warning was flashed up on my computer and a 'Web Attack: Malicious Website Accessed' was blocked by my antivirus system. I don't know if it was due to just that image being accessed, but I thought I would mention the incident. I hope you do not mind me mentioning this Brunel. Your photos did not bring up any security warning.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Brunel wrote:                      A few pics. of the red shale at the site of the West Yorks pit.                                    http://imgur.com/a/P7iXg Wonderful as always your imagery Mr. B.This may be natural red shale, which I mixed up with Fireclay. To my defence both Shale and Mudstone are listed as being mainly composed of "clay minerals" (now I've done some research)At West Yorkshire the railway bed linto to mainline and the shaft are both visible, and in a garden next to the site there is a concrete structure that may be part of the engine house??Perhaps Leeds most recognisable old coal mining site.......

The Parksider

Re: The world famous Leeds Brick Collectors Club

Post by The Parksider »

Talking off the best preserved Leeds Coal Mine, The Holbeck Brickworks in Ingram Road has a boundary mainly from the brickworks days. Oldest bricks are marked B.W & S, then it's J.M & S an example of which I found in Roundhay Park on the footbridge over the sewer, then A.N.B & Co which I found an example of at the Wortley site (how that got there I dunno) and finally bricks were marked HOLBECK. Not found one of those!!