The world famous Leeds Brick Collectors Club

How well do you know Leeds?
The Parksider

Re: The world famous Leeds Brick Collectors Club

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote:
Chappers wrote:This could be it.
http://www.penmorfa.com/bricks/england3.html
Thanks for that Chappers :). The brick is likely therefore to be from Allied Brick & Tile of Beeston, Leeds that was "lost to the trade by the mid fifties".
There was an "Allied" brickmakers in Harrogate

The Allied of Beeston took over Wooleys site next to whittakers around 1938.

Woolley moved to Bramley to take over the Bramley Brick Company.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi parksider
thanks for the info re the city brick co,i was born in beeston and know barkley rd very well but had no idea there had been a brickworks there,old mine shaft and spoil heap yes any idea where it was.
regards
sm1

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

The brickworks is here on Barkly Road which was just a track in the late 1800's. Use the transparency button to locate its position today.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16 ... 3&layers=6
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Thank you for that info. I lived in the Barkly's and never knew that the green square of grass that is still there today had once been a part of a brickworks.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi volvojack
i am with you on that one,you think you no your old area and this pops up talk about live and learn.thanks for the info buffaloskinner.
jack do you remember the new brick garages on the corner of barkley rd and theodore st (excuse spelling) my dad rented one,and i got my first 2 wheel bike from the railway mans bike hut. HAPPY DAYS.
regards
sm1

volvojack

Re: The world famous Leeds Brick Col Ylectors Club

Post by volvojack »

Certainly do Snowman, before they were built there were wooden yards there and one was the bottle store for Brigg's Off Licence opposite. As kidswe used to climb over and get a couple of bottles and take them back for the 3d. deposit on them He would always third degree us as who and when the beer had been purchased. Also on the same corner was a Police type of box that sometimes used to flash a blue light and as kids we would run around o find the bobby that his telephone needed answering.
As You Say Happy Days. What was your Dads name ? (Please answer quickly before some wit replies Father)

Regards Jack Daly.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 »

hi jack
dads name was clif foster,we lived in x flats st i was born there in 1944,went to x flats school in the park then to parkside when it was first built,did you collect jam jars for moorhouse jam works on old lane
nice to talk to some one from beeston
regards
tony foster

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Sorry to keep off topic. My maternal grandparents (Chambers) lived at 82? Barkley Road a little below Theodrore Street and move to Dewsbury Road in the early 60s. I moved to Beeston at about 16 with my mother who went back around 1980, living in X Flatts Crescent. Towards the end of the 80s I "bought" my first house in X Flatts Street Interesting to know a little more about the area where my roots lay
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I know a lot about that Barkly's area of Beeston, maybe it will turn up on another thread. ( I lived in Barkly Parade then at that time)

Burmantoft Curious

Post by Burmantoft Curious »

I came across your group when researching some circular bricks stamped "Burmantoft" and other markings including "DD 741" and "1916" (a date perhaps?)

See the photos below... Do you know what they are? How they were used?

All help and thoughts much appreciated! Thanks :)