The world famous Leeds Brick Collectors Club

How well do you know Leeds?
pool archives

Re: The world famous Leeds Brick Collectors Club

Post by pool archives »

Full details of Pool Bank Quarry showing a photo of the brick works and one of the bricks can be found on my web site historyofpool.net63.net

tilly

Post by tilly »

This was taken at Beamish last week there is a tram shelter there the back wall is made with different bricks from all over.
Attachments
031.JPG
031.JPG (36.93 KiB) Viewed 13840 times
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This part brick that was partly buried in the soil caught my eye when I was walking along Crag Lane (Alwoodley) today (April 19 2016). I pulled it out of the soil and found that on one side (the first photo) the letters EDS are seen so I wonder if that whole word would have been LEEDS. On the other side the letters COLD are seen (the O and the D are raised) but I have no guess as to what that full word would have stated. I would be grateful if someone could please let me know what the full words would likely have been.
OneSideOfTheBrick.jpg
OneSideOfTheBrick.jpg (185.38 KiB) Viewed 13293 times
TheOtherSideOfTheBrick.jpg
TheOtherSideOfTheBrick.jpg (185.3 KiB) Viewed 13293 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Hi Leo
I'm just guessing but I think the 'cold' is most likely to be 'Co Ld' short for Company Limited. So just as an example I would guess the full wording would be something along the lines of 'Leeds Brick Co Ld'.
The older I get, the better I was.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Bruno wrote:Hi Leo
I'm just guessing but I think the 'cold' is most likely to be 'Co Ld' short for Company Limited. So just as an example I would guess the full wording would be something along the lines of 'Leeds Brick Co Ld'.
Leeds Brickmaking Co ?? http://www.penmorfa.com/bricks/england14.html
LB_Co_Ld.jpg
LB_Co_Ld.jpg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 13210 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Bruno and uncle mick for your help :). That it will be a 'Leeds Brick Co Ld' brick does seem extremely likely.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a detective when I grew up. However, as I missed the clues that were there on the brick it's a good job that I never did become a detective as I would have been rubbish! ;)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

Hello everyone, a little story about a Middleton Brick.
Back in the early 1990's when my late dad was in his eighties he told me stories of the 1939-45 war and about his best friend, Frank Housham who sadly perished during the Arnhem conflict. Frank lived somewhere near Hillidge Road Hunslet, my dad was from Chesney View. In 1944 Frank was about to parachute into Holland as part of the offensive but unfortunately his Dakota plane was shot down, several of his colleagues managed to bail out but Frank, along with others was killed as the plane crashed into a field just outside a town called Waginengen. My dad was not with him.
My dad expressed his wish to visit his grave if we could find out where it was. I contacted the British Legion supplying them with Franks last known address, (sadly I have forgot where this was but near Hillidge Road) and Franks wifes name, surprisingly the British legion replied with full details of where Franks grave was, not in a military cemetery as we had assumed but in Waginengen village cemetery. I started making plans to take my dad but unfortunately his health was against him and he passed away before we could get there, however in 2011 I made the journey to visit Franks grave on behalf of my dad. Here comes the "Middleton Brick" part.
Shortly before I made the journey to Holland My daughter Sally found an excellent example of a Middleton brick in the rubble of the car park for South leeds Motor auctions, which is where the Chesney street were situated and of course right next to Hillidge road, she dug it up and brought it home as she knows that I am a Leeds history anorak, ahem cough. The night before I set off for Holland I was wondering should I take flowers for the grave or should I buy them once I get to Waginengen then a thought struck me - flowers would look nice but will fade ina couple of days however if I take the brick and place it on Franks grave it will last for ever and will be a small piece of "home" so that is what I did, I placed the brick on his grave, told him it was from my dad. Sentimental I know but it meant a lot my dad.
So that's my story about one particular Leeds brick. pic attached.
Attachments
FH1.jpg
FH1.jpg (328.96 KiB) Viewed 13098 times
20121124_100052.jpg
20121124_100052.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 13098 times

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

This little tale has made my day, what a thoroughly decent thing to do. :D

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

TABBYCAT wrote:This little tale has made my day, what a thoroughly decent thing to do. :D
Thank you TabbyCat, I have had a few strange looks when telling people about taking a brick to a grave. If I ever go to Holland again I'm going back to see if it's still there.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

That's a lovely tale Billy, but how did you get the brick past customs?

My mother-in-law is from Zetten which is about 4km from Waginengen and is just outside of Arnhem and not far from Nijgemen. I have attached a photo from its relief in 1944 after the Operation Market Garden.

Some Key Facts
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission maintains over 1,179,000 war graves at 23,203 burial sites in 148 countries around the world. It also commemorates a further 760,193 Commonwealth war dead on memorials to the missing.
Commonwealth governments share the cost of maintenance in proportion to the number of graves of their war dead:
UK – 79%; Canada – 10%; Australia – 6%; New Zealand – 2%; South Africa – 2%; India – 1%.

Allied troops
• 1485 Allied troops were killed or died from their wounds
• 3910 were evacuated
• 6525 Allied troops became prisoners of war
• 5354 Second Army casualties including 1480 for XXX Corps
• 377 Allied aircraft and gliders were lost together with 862 crew
German troops
• 3300 casualties (admitted by FM Model) although other estimates put the figure as high as 8000
Attachments
Zetten relief.jpg
Zetten relief.jpg (494.29 KiB) Viewed 13089 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?