What and where 5

How well do you know Leeds?
polo

Post by polo »

id love to catch one of these as they go up cause ive known them all

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

OK time for the answer after one more clue.....1. Created by parlimentarians agreement2. Today a short road to nowhere3. Used to go north, also went south and then to the west, and east as well - all these extensions now gone.4. A rack, a pinion5. A famous explosion ocurred on it6. The road is today bridged by a tunnel7. Not all roads have cars on them and this dates way back before any cars.That's yer lot. What and where??

kango

Post by kango »

Middleton railway perhaps? 1) 1758 act of Parliament. 2) doesn't really go anywhere these days. ( feeble I know) 3) possibly referring to the various spurs it connected to. 4) Was originally a rack railway. 5) Wikipedia quote "Salamanca's boiler exploded on 28 February 1818 killing the driver when, as a result of the force of the explosion, he was "carried, with great violence, into an adjoining field the distance of one hundred yards". 6) The tunnel being the one that runs under the M621. 7) Railway or as our American cousins say Railroad.A virtual cigar perhaps? The bridge mentioned earlier was perhaps the Great Northern rail bridge now the M621 road bridge.courtesy of Leodis...http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 30_171540A virtual cigar no?    

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

kango wrote: Middleton railway perhaps? 1) 1758 act of Parliament. 2) doesn't really go anywhere these days. ( feeble I know) 3) possibly referring to the various spurs it connected to. 4) Was originally a rack railway. 5) Wikipedia quote "Salamanca's boiler exploded on 28 February 1818 killing the driver when, as a result of the force of the explosion, he was "carried, with great violence, into an adjoining field the distance of one hundred yards". 6) The tunnel being the one that runs under the M621. 7) Railway or as our American cousins say Railroad.A virtual cigar perhaps? The bridge mentioned earlier was perhaps the Great Northern rail bridge now the M621 road bridge.courtesy of Leodis...http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 30_171540A virtual cigar no?     Well maybe an old stogie as it took so many clues.......Next time I'll put a Havannah on offer.....

kango

Post by kango »

"Well maybe an old stogie as it took so many clues""Everyone else stick to the rules please? Just post another clue if you now get it?Let's rack a few clues up before blurting out the answer "You kept saying add another clue don't answer so I waited till You gave the final clue, didn't want to upset the apple-cart as it were.: -)    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I think you did well there Kango, and some good deduction work on your part
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

kango

Post by kango »

Cheers Phill, what I like about Parksiders quizzes is that a bit of legwork is involved and You also learn something in the process.:-)    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

kango wrote: Cheers Phill, what I like about Parksiders quizzes is that a bit of legwork is involved and You also learn something in the process.:-)     Bit tricky too as well, because although you might think you have an answer. So if you give clues to that answer, but it's wrong. Parkie wouldn't have a clue what you were on about, and your non the wiser if your any nearer the answer. Good fun though
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Geordie-exile wrote: I'm thinking there's a link, origin wise, with a tragedy that occurred not too far away from me. I passed the commemorative plaque this very morning.    ETA: I live in Gateshead for anyone who doesn't know. And that's not an 'invention'. Just to explain my own clues, the origin I was referring to was Charles Brandling, whose family built Middleton Railway, and who employed John Blenkinsop, 'inventor' of the rack and pinion system.The Brandlings also owned the colliery at Felling in Gateshead, at which 92 lives were lost in 1812. This was the commemorative plaque I referred to.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

kango wrote: You kept saying add another clue don't answer so I waited till You gave the final clue, didn't want to upset the apple-cart as it were.: -)     In the pub quizzes it can be disappointing if the answer is shouted out whilst you are still thinking about it, and when there's more clues to come.On the "Who is this famous person" 10 clue quiz you write down your answer and put it in when you get to the clue that enables you to have a good guess at it.So anyone who knows say a birthdate, if that clue starts it and you put the right answer in it gets 10 points.At the end of it when a big picture of the person is unveiled (the easiest clue) and you only get it then and put your answer in it gets one point.Thus it's fun for various levels of knowledge and you can all eventually get it right except poor Leo who is thinking too hard will get the hang of it next time...