What and where 3.

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The Parksider wrote: Leodian wrote: I have a thought as to where this may be but some of my cryptic connections are very tenuous. Would I be right The Parksider in saying it has 2 four handled cups? If not then I am wrong, though I will still state what I thought it was and why when the correct answer is given. The clues are not actually that cryptic when looked at in unison.There's a magnificent four handled cup and whilst there are others they are only in relief.Age Quod Agis Leo...... Hi The Parksider. As your reply rules out what I thought it might be it seems OK for me to give my wrong answer. I had thought it may be the old bank on the 'corner' of Boar Lane and Bishopgate Street as it has 2 cups (more like prize cups) to the top that seem to have 4 handles on each and it also has columns that could be mock Corinthian. As for 'sisters' I thought that could be the nearby Infirmary Street, as infirmaries have nursing sisters. As for the brothers then I thought that could be a cryptic clue to Bishopgate Street, as bishops are religious as are brothers. I had no real idea though on the Fancy looking people. Well I did try!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Think I might have been barking up the wrong religion. The sisters thing threw me there. I was thinking of convent. There are only a couple of Leeds locations with the word 'corner' included in them - unless somebody tells me a few more - and this one is not the Moortown kind. So it's the other one. Midway between two bastions of the establishment. Empty buildings fit. And the fact that both sexes have done a moonlight flit to pastures new.The latin did it. But the four handled cup is still a mystery.         That's brilliant thinking.You got so close with the convent thing in a way because this building has a long religious history, but it's it's last use that counts and the clues tell you that.I think your "just around the corner" to the answer. Geddit?Like Phil you are HOT HOT HOT.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Leodian wrote: The Parksider wrote: Leodian wrote: I have a thought as to where this may be but some of my cryptic connections are very tenuous. Would I be right The Parksider in saying it has 2 four handled cups? If not then I am wrong, though I will still state what I thought it was and why when the correct answer is given. The clues are not actually that cryptic when looked at in unison.There's a magnificent four handled cup and whilst there are others they are only in relief.Age Quod Agis Leo...... Hi The Parksider. As your reply rules out what I thought it might be it seems OK for me to give my wrong answer. I had thought it may be the old bank on the 'corner' of Boar Lane and Bishopgate Street as it has 2 cups (more like prize cups) to the top that seem to have 4 handles on each and it also has columns that could be mock Corinthian. As for 'sisters' I thought that could be the nearby Infirmary Street, as infirmaries have nursing sisters. As for the brothers then I thought that could be a cryptic clue to Bishopgate Street, as bishops are religious as are brothers. I had no real idea though on the Fancy looking people. Well I did try! What can I do with you?Your trying too hard.I wouldn't use any old corner as a clue now would I??The religious thinking is great as "such institutions" also have brothers and sisters in them but the bishopgate=brother thing is thinking too far round the "corner".I'm giving it away now.BTW great art deco windows.......

jim

Post by jim »

Hyde Park Corner? LGS & LGHS? That would be the latter then?

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

jim wrote: Hyde Park Corner? LGS & LGHS? That would be the latter then? These three were my picks further up the page without actually saying the words.And a light just came on, although if it's an energy-saver the answer may be out of kilter. The four-handled cup - a blazer and hat badge?

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Got it! The four-handled cup used to look down on a group of scientists before the sisters took over!Thanks Parksider, although some of your clues really had me baffled PS: added thought - input from others on this thread greatly helped, but I can't acknowledge them by name, otherwise it would give away the location! Once the answer has been revealed, they will know who they are.

davedeath

Post by davedeath »

Unconsecrated Wetherspoons?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Tasa wrote: Got it! The four-handled cup used to look down on a group of scientists before the sisters took over!Thanks Parksider, although some of your clues really had me baffled Once the answer has been revealed, they will know who they are. You've got it, but that naughty Jim has blurted it out with "LGHS"!!I'm only kidding Jim, but the old Christian Science Church building at the Leeds Girls High (I gave you the motto)was taken over late on by Leeds Girls High School to be the music department. The Portland stone clad building has Corinthian/Egyptian columns that puts it very close to a similar architecture at Temple Mills which Phil guessed at.There not much "cryptic" about any family who sent their daughters to LGHS and sons to LGS around the "corner" this being Hyde Park Corner which is actually a crossroads. For sons and daughters read the twist "Brothers and sisters" and the sidetracking into guesses on a religious basis was ironic and devilishly amusing given the building is an ex-church.The four handled cup on the front of the headingley lane building stopped me in my tracks. Well worth a look. The only thing I can trace this to is "Homers Cup" in Greek mythology, but why it is there I do not know. Many religious symbols of years past are very obscure now, for instance what are all these old "Ebenezer chapels" we can still see on our streets?. I know do you?The big clue was the sisters and brothers moving out to a country location on the outskirts of Leeds, two great institutions joined to set up in the very first green fields past alwoodley gate.I tried to help on location with the "Fancy" thing, eventually I would have suggested that Batman, Superman and Woody from Toy Story were seen passing this place? Anyone get that reference??Anyhowse I hope you enjoyed the what and where which is based on a pub quiz special question I came across "at a famous old "stationary" Leeds watering Hole" (answers on a post please) in which the quizmaster runs down 20 clues each getting easier.20 points if you get it first time, 1 point if you only get it after 20 clues (BTW the last clue is the answer) nobody breaks ranks but allows those who don't know chance to get it.....

jim

Post by jim »

Despite living two doors below Arthur Ransome's house from 1982-86 it took me over a month to get it, so I thought I had achieved something rather than "knew"! Good one Parksider. (PS, "stationary" Leeds watering hole, haven't we been there before?)