Leeds Dragons

How well do you know Leeds?
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Look about and you will see a dragon flying free, but where is he?
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

tilly

Post by tilly »

I have been with a few Leeds Dragons in my time but i dont know where this one is.Could it be in one of the arcades.?    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Kirkgate market I believe
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Kirkgate Market it is, after all these years only noticed today

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Where is the other dragons' nest in Yorkshire.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Halifax MarketLeeds’s Kirkgate market hall is one the best surviving Victorian retail buildings. Opened in 1904, it still retains much of its original decoration, including the numerous cast-iron wyverns (two-legged dragons) on the ground floor that are in fact brackets that support the gallery level above. These outsized monsters are a curious legacy of the Victorian fascination with the grotesque and a reminder of a vanished way of thinking about the value of the decorative in civic buildings. But what do these particular wyverns mean? Surely not mere whimsy, ornament for ornament’s sake? After all, this was a public building, built with hard-earned public money. Why did Leeds’s civic authorities deem it necessary to include wyverns in the people’s market hall?In fact, these wyvern motifs were specified by the architects of the market hall (John and Joseph Leeming) in their original competition drawings for the project and developed from similar ones they used in an earlier market hall in Halifax (1896). In the late nineteenth century, dragons and their wyvern cousins were both common heraldic motifs in Britain and were also associated with industry; in 1845 the Midland Railway adopted a wyvern as the crest in their unofficial coat of arms, believing it to be the symbol of the ancient kingdom of Mercia, or the Midlands as it effectively was in the Victorian era; the company incorporated cast–iron wyverns into luggage rack supports, bracket signals, and the spandrels at Hellifield railway station (1880).And that's a fact

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

And here they are

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Think I posted these dragons on Weetwood Lane as a guess where before.It's funny to think what these creatures symbolised, and why they were incorporated into buildings and architecture. I think I also posted these serpent snake benches in Leeds as a guess where before as well. They also have a similar meaning as the dragons. Asclepius the Greek god of health and medicine had a staff with a snake entwined around it. It is this symbol that is still used by the medical professions today.The North Eastern Railway standardised the benches on their stations by using this particular design. The spa towns of Harrogate and Berwick still have these serpent benches made and installed today.        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

There's a dragon taking off from the ridge of this house on the corner of Bentcliffe Lane and Street Lane. This is the best I could get from Street View. If anyone's up in the area they could get a better one with a camera.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (125.87 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I'm pretty certain there are dragons or maybe wyverns in one of the arcdes as well but can't think of which one.i know i spotted them on some stantions once.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!