Number 25 tram but where?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks kango and somme1916.PS. I'm still chuckling at the Frog Hall Farm name.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

kango

Post by kango »

Any time Leodian.You obviously know the area, somme1916 and I think you might agree how different this area is today.Industrial estates now stand in place of houses shops and little communities.The Red Lion pictured here.Now, roughly, the area as it is today.http://goo.gl/maps/Ba70i    
Attachments
thwaitegate_1974.jpg
thwaitegate_1974.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 2033 times

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

kango wrote: Any time Leodian.You obviously know the area, somme1916 and I think you might agree how different this area is today.Industrial estates now stand in place of houses shops and little communities.The Red Lion pictured here.Now, roughly, the area as it is today.http://goo.gl/maps/Ba70i     Great pic kango.........indeed,hardly recognisable these days,especially since the road was widened to accommodate the new ind est etc etcWe used to sit in both the small snug to the right as you entered the lion(quite a few bayford oil's lads in there too) and sometimes in the "posh bit" which was one single,large room.....a bit like stepping into someone's large sitting room ! Great beer.......used it when both Laurie Graham and Alfie Barron held the licence.Happy days..........All the buildings over the road were wiped out...eventually building one of the modern,"plastic" pubs(punch clock...suppose a reference to the tram depot ???) which has suffered uncertain times on more than one occasion.I was in the pub the day a car careered off the road with a family of four inside that took the side wall to the pool room clean out ! Landed about 4 feet away after "taking off" on the grass ramp outside.That was a sight I can tell you !    
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

kango

Post by kango »

Nice story somme1916 someone smiling on you that day!It's good that a simple picture posted by Phill can bring out different memories and facts about those days from posters various.You are right about the Punch Clock a cold soulless pub at the best of times.Oddly enough if you go the Google map ref in my last post and turn 90 deg right said pub can be seen in all its sorry glory.    

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

kango wrote: Nice story somme1916 someone smiling on you that day!It's good that a simple picture posted by Phill can bring out different memories and facts about those days from posters various.You are right about the Punch Clock a cold soulless pub at the best of times.Oddly enough if you go the Google map ref in my last post and turn 90 deg right said pub can be seen in all its sorry glory.     Ha,I know........i did my very best to avoid that manouevre ! Thanks to all who have posted their pics/comments etc
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Another little nugget of info. The W.R. bus is painted red to indicate that it is on a former tram route.The normal fleet colour was green.