Where can you find this

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

BLAKEY wrote: Most interesting to find the origin of the "Cross Keys" name. One of my predecessors, several generations ago in the late 1800s, was landlord of the Cross Keys in Holme on Spalding Moor. It seems he was more than once "hauled up before the Beak" for serving the golden nectar outside the permitted days/hours. I was in the Cross Keys last night

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Jogon wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Most interesting to find the origin of the "Cross Keys" name. One of my predecessors, several generations ago in the late 1800s, was landlord of the Cross Keys in Holme on Spalding Moor. It seems he was more than once "hauled up before the Beak" for serving the golden nectar outside the permitted days/hours. I was in the Cross Keys last night I might give it another try Jogon when in the area - my bitter (no pun) experience may have just been an isolated instance. I really had hoped to glean something of my ancestors about who the family rarely if ever said anything. I did once, long ago, go in the church yard on the hill in the "vain" hope of finding some of the family - on one gravestone fairly near the path I discovered the names of no less than three - amazing.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.