Where can you find this

How well do you know Leeds?
jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

Leodian wrote: Nice one Tilly.I wonder if I can claim that I subconsciously knew it! I took this photo on August 19 2011 from Church Row. In order that it was not too big a file for SL it is a reduced copy of the original image. On enlarging the original image the cross keys can be seen, though if I spotted them then I did not take a close-up photo. I wonder what the keys signify? Leo, this might offer some explanation -- well it does in York anyway!:            http://www.historyofyork.org.uk/themes/ ... eys-symbol    

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Crossed keys are part of the Papal coat-of-arms. Does the building have a Roman Catholic connection? Edit: Leeds parish church is also St Peter's as described in relation to York Minster. Forgive me overlooking the obvious.
The older I get, the better I was.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks jdbythesea and Bruno for your help.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Crossed Keys are the symbol of St Peter (The keys to the gates of Heaven) - and by extension are therefore important symbols of the Vatican, York Minster and Leeds Minster - all three being dedicated to him. On a more mundane level 'Cross Keys' is a relatively common pub name in and around York - which I believe denotes that pub is or was built on land belonging to the Archbishopric of York. I wonder if the Cross Keys in Holbeck (an old pub revived) has any link to Leeds Minster/Parish church?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Yeh, I picked up on the St. Peter's link with the keys and tried St. Peter's Square and Place, but no good.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Well done to everyone who guessed it correctly

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thats just what i was saying a thread like this brings lots of things up that some of us dont know about.I for one did not know what the crossed keys were,but i do now thanks for that
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Most interesting to find the origin of the "Cross Keys" name. One of my predecessors, several generations ago in the late 1800s, was landlord of the Cross Keys in Holme on Spalding Moor. It seems he was more than once "hauled up before the Beak" for serving the golden nectar outside the permitted days/hours.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

BLAKEY wrote: Most interesting to find the origin of the "Cross Keys" name. One of my predecessors, several generations ago in the late 1800s, was landlord of the Cross Keys in Holme on Spalding Moor. It seems he was more than once "hauled up before the Beak" for serving the golden nectar outside the permitted days/hours. Still going strong http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43529/
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

drapesy wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Most interesting to find the origin of the "Cross Keys" name. One of my predecessors, several generations ago in the late 1800s, was landlord of the Cross Keys in Holme on Spalding Moor. It seems he was more than once "hauled up before the Beak" for serving the golden nectar outside the permitted days/hours. Still going strong http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/43529/ Thanks drapesy - I went in a good few years ago about 7.00pm and stood there several minutes while the girl finished discussing local gossip with a regular before grunting "Yes ??" When I asked if food was still available she grunted "We've finished now." Found another super place nearby in a side street (I think) and it was inviting, warm and served good grub.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.