WHERE IN LEEDS - another teaser

How well do you know Leeds?
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

A remarkable bit of Leeds history which, to my amazement, I only noticed myself very recently.I have a feeling though that someone will crack it fairly easily !!    Nice to see that in the olden days, even in stonework, the apostrophe is correctly used to denote that there was more than one overseer !!
Attachments
SL TEASER.JPG
SL TEASER.JPG (465.88 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

BLAKEY If you look at this on street view the sign is covered over so that's why you might not have seen it before EDIT - The image date on street view is October 2012    
Attachments
north lane headingley   Google Maps.png
north lane headingley Google Maps.png (36.58 KiB) Viewed 3657 times

ARGIE

Post by ARGIE »

May I hazard a guess? I also have never seen the wording "overseers' office" on this building (if I'm correct, of course!) so if foxed me initially but if I've not got my wires crossed I *think* this is...(I'll be cryptic to give other posters a chance of guessing)is it opposite a place where one may borrow books and close to both a chippy and a grizzly part of Leeds history?

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

yes I know it well, Peter Sutcliffe and Geoffry Boycott might have crossed paths right outside here.
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Hmmmmmm .....the temperature around here is rising quite noticably !! Oh, and I'm really chuffed because after years of being unable to post pictures on SL I've managed to do it somehow
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

I was going to post a pic of this!! you beat me to it Blakey
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

drapesy wrote: I was going to post a pic of this!! you beat me to it Blakey Sorry drapesy - your turn next then I must say, though, that I thought it would be guessed quickly by rather more contestants

Si

Post by Si »

Interesting to note the use of the word "overseer" (often seen on old Census forms) as opposed to the now more common "supervisor," which I think is the literal translation in Latin for overseer!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

BLAKEY wrote: drapesy wrote: I was going to post a pic of this!! you beat me to it Blakey Sorry drapesy - your turn next then I must say, though, that I thought it would be guessed quickly by rather more contestants I don't know and am waiting keenly to find out where it is. It looks to be a recently externally cleaned building and (based on what I think the cryptic clues seem to imply) it is in the Headingley area.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Post by jim »

"1914" surrounding "Pro Rege et Lege" crest above window above doorway?