Where is this face?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Where is this face to be found in the centre of Leeds? The photo (which I took on July 4 2013) may have too many visual clues, but I thought it may still do for a W&W. I've done a search of SL and the object does not seem to have ever been used as a W&W, but apologies if it has.
Attachments
010R.jpg
010R.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Across the road from the Vine.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Across the road from the Vine. Nice cryptic clue salt 'n pepper. I had to cheat myself by looking at Google Street View of the area to see how it fitted this W&W. I now know! . I shall not reveal where though just yet in case anyone else wants to guess or answer cryptically. For interest I have posted here a close-up of the nicely carved face.
Attachments
011R.jpg
011R.jpg (70.26 KiB) Viewed 2053 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

As this thread is about to drop out of the recent threads list I thought I would state where the photo was taken. It is number 12 South Parade in LS1, as seen in the photo taken July 4 2013.In the non-reduced original photo a nice carving of what seems to be a bird can be seen high up that I had not noticed when I took the photo. I wonder if that carving has any connection with the original use of the building, which I have not been readily able to find.
Attachments
009R.jpg
009R.jpg (105.58 KiB) Viewed 2053 times

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

This is a very interesting picture for me, particularly in two respects. Firstly, the ground floor corner windows of the white building were part of the offices of the Friends Provident and Century Insurance where, at sixteen years old I started work as a junior clerk in the Fire Department - £120 per ANNUM, less tax and N.I. More importantly though, I have a strange idea that the building in this topic was NOT there in 1952-4 but is a very tasteful and appealing more modern "pseudo" style. This is probably a daft theory and I'm quite likely to be wrong but it is a strong feeling, against which I can't suggest what I thought was there in my junior time. Several buildings in South Parade have been demolished and replaced over the years, and I believe that the white "Century House" was built in a gap sometime in the 1930s - the narrow footway between the two buildings, leading to the next street and the undeground car park of CH, still exists. Can anyone please comment on what may well be a barmy theory ??    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.