Statue of who? Where? When? Current google streetview, current location of statue if known

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

This surprised me.
Attachments
__TFMF_olqj1d45g5tqajfdeftl5o55_e112a1a5-30a9-486c-a009-eea1c711a466_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_olqj1d45g5tqajfdeftl5o55_e112a1a5-30a9-486c-a009-eea1c711a466_0_main.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 3440 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Jogon wrote: This surprised me. It's not surprised me I have seen this a few times today trawling the internet

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Ahem, that's how it came to me.Think it also features on a certain Pathe news about a murder back when Police HQ was the Library.    

Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

Ooh I actually know this one!I'll have to try and find the street views though ... may take a while ...

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I'm not certain but I think it is the statue marked on this 1891 1 to 500 map that I took from the Old-Maps UK website. I thought I recognised the domed building with its flagpole (?) top from old photos I've seen.    
Attachments
__TFMF_x0ongzn0vfdx52n3o4xool55_370552e9-fe1f-4c90-9b6e-708f991e613e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_x0ongzn0vfdx52n3o4xool55_370552e9-fe1f-4c90-9b6e-708f991e613e_0_main.jpg (224.92 KiB) Viewed 3440 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Cuts a rather lonely looking figure at his current location, with only a sad twenty first century vista of takeaways and discount booze shops to gaze upon. At least now he doesn't have to dodge the snowballs that the WW2 schoolboys of Central High School used to volley at him.And to add insult to injury, even the Google Street View van driver and camera technician managed to cunningly place a leaf over their lens to obscure their user view of one of, if not the, most popular Lord Mayors of Leeds.    

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Cuts a rather lonely looking figure at his current location, with only a sad twenty first century vista of takeaways and discount booze shops to gaze upon. At least now he doesn't have to dodge the snowballs that the WW2 schoolboys of Central High School used to volley at him.And to add insult to injury, even the Google Street View van driver and camera technician managed to cunningly place a leaf over their lens to obscure their user view of one of, if not the, most popular Lord Mayors of Leeds.     Assuming that I was right in the location map (and that may be a big if!) then where is "the current location" of the statue and who was the Lord Mayor? Edit added later. Oops, as the map states it is the 'Marsden Statue' then that will be who it is of! On checking, I've found that a Henry Rowland Marsden was a mayor.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Jogon and uncle mick, is there any particular reason why the statue has featured on the internet so widely today?There has been a long-running mystery about this statue as one of the side panels is indented - the other (seen in the photo) is filled with a bas relief sculpture and there seems to be no information about whether both sides were intended to have similar sculptures and if so, why only one was completed.I know where it is, but this seems to be one of those cryptic W&Ws so I'll let someone else say Leodian - you're correct with the original location!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Isnt this the middle of what is now the jnc of Woodhouse Lane, Merrion Street, Gt George Street and Albion St. Merrion St was at this time I think Kelsall St, and is now on Woodhouse Moor I guess?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Its behind here I believehttp://goo.gl/maps/woxw4Okay now thats better, seems the google car had a coming together with a treehttp://goo.gl/maps/xekXBFrom WikipediaHenry Rowland Marsden (1823 – 19 January 1876) was a philanthropist and (Liberal) Mayor of Leeds for 1873 to 1875, said to be the most popular Victorian mayor of LeedsHe was born in Holbeck, Leeds in 1823 of poor parents, and began to work in a local mill at the age of 10, becoming an engineering apprentice at 15. In 1848 he emigrated to the USA where he made a successful career in mechanical engineering, and returned a wealthy man to Leeds in 1862, setting up a factory for patent stone-crushing machinery to take advantage of the demand at that time for road building. He received numerous medals and honours for this and other inventions, as well as the continuing wealth to enable him to donate both time and money to public life.His interest in local affairs led him to the Liberal Party and he was elected as local Councillor for Holbeck in 1866, becoming an Alderman in 1872 and Mayor in 1873. He also served as Chief Magistrate for six years.It was said that "from the beginning he conducted the business of the town and of the Council without consideration of sect, party or denomination, acting with strict impartiality and goodwill to all", and that he donated £2000 per year to good causesHe died suddenly on 19 January 1876, leaving a widow, Mary, two daughters and a son. He is buried in Holbeck Cemetery in Beeston where his grave is marked by a Grade II-listed memorialFollowing his death, a public subscription raised £1000 to erect a statue of him, (which has now been moved to Woodhouse Moor) by local sculptor John Throp
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?