Guess where stairs!

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

This has been interesting. I'd seen blakey/busman comments but couldn't ever understand how where etc.There is a reduced / missing kerb at that point which ties in.I'd (wrongly) assumed the bus came along that odd little parade of shops, as was, next to Morrisons. [edit]UMNo, I think you were right first time. http://goo.gl/maps/RpGSCAccess to shops for good in etc via Wade Lane, rear of Hotel.Bus came in, outside Odeon, which is nearest corner of the Square then right and down the hill outside Town Centre House. Your most recent arrow = the precinct without then with roof. Bus came through where the "square" is, turning right and down the ramp at the side of Morrisons back onto Woodhouse Lane

LS1

Post by LS1 »

uncle mick wrote: This shows the bus route. Leodis has got its description wrong but a user comment is correcthttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL Yeah, that's my comment the top one on Leodis!There was only one as far as I know. If you imagine walking into the Merrion Center from the Merrion Way side (fomerly Coburg St), you would walk south, past where Scheerers ended up on the corner on the left, then you'd go past the model shop, and get to where Woolworth's was (now Home Bargains) THEN...Take a RIGHT down towards Woodhouse Lane where it opens out where there is a little cafe bar where the Featherston Kite was and that was the route.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I should add, the other way that you have highlighted was the open air pedestrian way which is now where Superdrug et al are. It just looks like its a road from the aerial photo, you cant see W'house Lane which is to the left of the pic just out of shot.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

LS1 wrote: I should add, the other way that you have highlighted was the open air pedestrian way which is now where Superdrug et al are. It just looks like its a road from the aerial photo, you cant see W'house Lane which is to the left of the pic just out of shot. LS1. That's what I was trying to explain, that it wasn't the bus route

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Looking at the aerial photo, I would say that the the multi-storey office block (Merrion House?) is drawn on and not part of the original photograph. Making this some kind of "artist's impression" rather than a true photo. Anybody else think that?
The older I get, the better I was.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Bruno wrote: Looking at the aerial photo, I would say that the the multi-storey office block (Merrion House?) is drawn on and not part of the original photograph. Making this some kind of "artist's impression" rather than a true photo. Anybody else think that? I thought that.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Sorry chaps, i didn't read properly, at work and trying to do 2 things at once!Agree though, looks like the offices are drawn on.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Another vague shot from LEODIS of the exit road on to Woodhouse Lane.Are the roadsigns - are they roadsigns? - at the bottom of the gradient on to Woodhouse Lane facing the Odeon (as was then) or Yates' Wine Lodge (as is now)? Whichever, they may signify either 'Left Turn Only' or 'No Entry'.Car Park to morph into Morrison's still to be created by demolition of County Garage.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

S&PI enlarged that and it does look light a 'left only' arrow with no entry oppo the school.Could this be a bus turning into the road off Merrion Way ? Blakey?http://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N ... 515797/The image owner (cabsaab900)states:-No 982 at Merrion Centre Leeds on route 36 to Leeds Central Bus Station. 24th March 1967.[wegener adds: Roe Aec Regent v aec2d2ra unique to Leeds]Photo detailsColour Slide scanAgfa 35mm 64ASA Colour Slide Film".....The photograph is taken from the Merrion Street multy-story car park (which is still standing) and as far as I can remember the bus is just turning off Merrion Way onto a road which is no longer there that ran down the western edge of the carpark.."    

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

This photo shows how steep it was as it approaches Woodhouse Lane