What, where, bonus point when, whodunnit

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Seven Arches I would not have guessed! PS. I walk the area very occasionally and never knew (or had forgotten) that there is a small bridge just before the Seven Arches. I must look closer next time!      Yes it's more or less a few feet away from the arches. It's on the North side of the arch. Not sure if it was a bridge, but it's definitely a stone arch across the stream. I once took a photo of it with the arches in the background, don't seem to have it anymore though.I'll look out for a photo of it.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Hard to tell, but this looks like the plan of the bridge in front of the arches carrying the Dales Way footpath. Think that's the top of the bridge you can see.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Got it, knew I wasn't imagining it. Although this shows it's a concrete construction, I do think it will have replaced the original stone bridge when they straightened the arches and renovated them in 1998.        Here's an interesting page about the renovation work on the arches, it shows how they straightened them up.http://anbeal.co.uk/sevenarchesaqueduct.html    

MWD

Post by MWD »

A lovely scene, and interesting facts.Such a shame the area bears no resemblance to the painting anymore.The paths are almost impassable on anyhing other than dry days, having been churned up by mountainbikes.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

MWD I'm getting sick of this - as you have still not added a valid email address despite two separate requests to do so, I'm forced to do this on a public thread:i) Please refrain from this nonsense about bikes and cyclists, it's extremely tiresome and I have had multiple complaints about your aggressive attitude. This forum is not a place to air your personal and somewhat bizarre grievances. If you're just trolling then please stop it, it's not funny.ii) Add a valid email address to your profile immediately. If you don't I will be forced to block you from the site. The deadline is 12 noon on Sunday.SecretLeeds is a friendly and inclusive site - let's try to keep it that way!Thanks,Duncan
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks Phill for the photo of the bridge. If asked I would have said the beck just runs naturally under one of the arches, not through a built watercourse! It's amazing sometimes just how there can be 'new' things at a site I thought I knew. Mind you, there are places at the back of some of my cupboards that I've not seen for ages, so who knows what may be there (hopefully not spiders!).Incidentally, talking of the beck I thought it was named Adel Beck to the Ring Road then Meanwood Beck from the other side, but on a map I've seen the beck names changes to Meanwood Beck some way before the Ring Road.    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

What year was the map from Leodian?Don't for get before the ring road Scotland Mill Lane and Smithy Mills Lane crossed over what is now the ring road. You can make out the path of Scotland Mill Lane on the south side of the ring road now still- it is a public footpath. Think that is the right way round... I'm sure I'll be corrected if not :-)Also, was there not a "Weetwood Viaduct" at some point along the course of the beck or something similar? I seem to remember someone talking about it on here ages and ages ago - maybe Parksider?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi LS1I have posted with this a copy of the map (dated © 2013) that gives Adel Beck as changing its name to Meanwood Beck before passing under the Ring Road near Scotland Mill Lane. The map is from Google Maps, so possibly not the most accurate naming map!     
Attachments
__TFMF_j5stwz2vy2ftdfy0lotn2w55_cec45bdb-e446-417b-950b-dfabc8100988_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_j5stwz2vy2ftdfy0lotn2w55_cec45bdb-e446-417b-950b-dfabc8100988_0_main.jpg (28.46 KiB) Viewed 10547 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I'd agree that LeoI was told that Adel Beck ceased at the inflow to Smithy Mills Bridge and that Meanwood Beck started at the outflow/other side

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Interesting, I would have thought the same that the cross over was after smithy mills bridge also. Mind you Google maps thought ring road roundhay was bramley at one point!