What, where, bonus point when, whodunnit

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Some peeps on here know this, so don't spoil it for the little 'uns.If you do know it keep cryptic.I think you can still view this today. I'll drink to that...
Attachments
__TFMF_4zopkrndu2pv0ebrqs0xax55_7401e3ae-4d02-46bc-8692-47f4cb80c938_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_4zopkrndu2pv0ebrqs0xax55_7401e3ae-4d02-46bc-8692-47f4cb80c938_0_main.jpg (157.06 KiB) Viewed 10863 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

You'd not expect heckling from Murray in such a quiet spot.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

That is very cryptic Jogon but I think I may have cracked it but I will leave my answer for now. The drink could be the water that is nearby. Murray will not be Andy, but there is a Scottish connection. Hetchell Crags is some miles away but there is a close sound connection. If I'm right the area today looks nothing like as picturesque as the artist's idyllic interpretation.         
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

You've got it.What is seen ~ is one of many...

LS1

Post by LS1 »

One of many that does't and never did look anything like the picture that jag painted.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

It is The Seven Arches, Adel Woods signed and dated 'J.A.Grimshaw/1864' (lower right)oil on panel.33 x 27.5 cm. (13 x 10 3/4 in.)Sold at Bonhams for £34,800Very good zoom on their site - click picture to viewhttp://www.bonhams.com/auctions/14979/lot/28/FootnotesThe present lot is a fasinating rediscovery and joins other known depictions of the same scene, such as The Seven Arches, Adel, Leeds. The harmonious affect of Seven Arches, Adel Woods is redolent of the nature-loving depictions associated with Grimshaw?s early years as a professional artist and his growing attachment to the fundamental principles of the Pre-Raphaelites. Adel woods was an area where the newly married artist would often take walks, collecting artefacts and organic material for later study. The largely unspoiled woodland setting became the subject of some of Grimshaw?s earliest landscapes and is represented in the present lot with the intimate reverence for nature that would characterise his entire career. Suffused with a strong attention to detail and a heightened sense of colour, the present lot shows the artist coming to terms with the Pre-Raphaelite style of landscape painting that can be seen with increased confidence in later depictions such as Stepping Stones, Bolton Abbey (186. "The View of Adel is a very interesting transitional picture where Grimshaw seems interested in building up a surface pattern rather than giving the scene any atmosphere. One might almost compare this to Cotman?s Greta period watercolours. I don?t think I have seen another picture by Grimshaw done in quite the same way. But perhaps it is not surprising that the artist is still experimenting in picture making at this early date in his career."    
Attachments
__TFMF_xfewzarod3gfl2b2akgkdu55_fa7707d7-0482-490e-8ffa-b217526f96d7_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_xfewzarod3gfl2b2akgkdu55_fa7707d7-0482-490e-8ffa-b217526f96d7_0_main.jpg (195.9 KiB) Viewed 10863 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It actually looks more like Gledhow Valley Woods and the single bridge over the stream there, although I knew the answer was Adel because you'd shown me the painting earlier lol
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I shall take a pic of THAT arch and THIS view exactyly as JohnAG saw it...now you mention it has a look of GVW's    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: I shall take a pic of THAT arch and THIS view exactyly as JohnAG saw it...now you mention it has a look of GVW's The painting actually looks like the small bridge just before the seven arches, even the span of the arch isn't right, they are very long and shallow unlike the painting. It almost looks like he's painted the small bridge, but left out the arches behind it. I can't find a photo with the small bridge on it, everyone takes photos of the arches themselves.Shallow arch.Half round arch.            
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I was wrong in where I thought it was! I thought it was a very artistic interpretation of the footbridge that crosses Adel Beck near Scotland Mill Lane. That is near Bywater Farm, hence my "water that is nearby". My possibly most crypticness was that the Hetchell in Hetchell Crags sounds a bit like hatchel, which is the comb used to separate flax fibres when combing (heckling) the fibres. That it is said to be the Seven Arches I would not have guessed! PS. I walk the area very occasionally and never knew (or had forgotten) that there is a small bridge just before the Seven Arches. I must look closer next time!     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.