Where ? ( not known)

How well do you know Leeds?
amber

Post by amber »

jonleeds wrote: looks a bit like a 'Micro-Rider' bus that we had in Leeds for a while.     This was one of about a dozen which we bought from East Midlands Aston Depot. They wanted rid as mini bus hadn't taken off in Birmingham. Note the C reg, the first new we bought was D reg

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

amber wrote: . I never thought that 15 years later I would be the Manager of the new mini bus fleet on 26/10/1986 deregulation day Amber, I took pictures of a couple of these in ordinary service one Saturday afternoon - one northbound in New Briggate, and the other citybound at Spencer Place (I'll alter that to Bayswater Road in case nobody believes why I was there !!). My lasting impression is of puzzled passengers within wondering why on earth they were travelling cooped up in luxury like that. One of the Headingley Union men (MG, now sadly deceased) split his head wide open very nastily while alighting from one.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I got on one of those Micro Riders on the 42 route from Seacroft into town one lovely Saturday summers evening around 5 o'clock. It was the time before the pubs opened all day. (Mid to late 1980's?) I always met my mate for opening at the Guildford at that time. We'd often be waiting outside for him to open up. We'd stay in there playing pool till about half 7 - 8 o'clock and move on.Anyway I got on this Micro Rider which hadn't been on that route for long. In fact it's possibly the first time I'd ever been on one. There was no on else on it at that time, and if I recall correctly it was just me and the driver the whole way to town. It seemed strange being on this small mini bus really, and to make a surreal experience even more so - The driver was actually very friendly indeed. So I said to him, where do you smoke on these buses? Can you, or are you not allowed?He said 'oh it's ok mate, no one else is on, I smoke myself when it's empty. Just light one up, so I did and gave him a smoke too. And we carried on chatting the whole way to town. The whole experience was more like a private taxi service really. A most unusual bus trip that was                         
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!