Where was the photographer stood?

How well do you know Leeds?
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

I found this on LEODIS so no cheating.First one of you GSV aces to reproduce the same photograph but from a year 2013 vantage point takes the prize.
Attachments
__TFMF_uoj2pgbdak2y3355hhldli45_8f3a4e17-a335-49fe-b8e7-e2d2f1bddebf_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uoj2pgbdak2y3355hhldli45_8f3a4e17-a335-49fe-b8e7-e2d2f1bddebf_0_main.jpg (61.86 KiB) Viewed 3499 times

chinwag

Post by chinwag »

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

http://goo.gl/maps/S2fSEAbout there but back a bit I think.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I was just getting the comparison photos and map, and everyone else answered it lol. Anyway here are the comparison shots.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Well done everybody.Taken I think from the aptly named Leeds Terrace. Here is the blurb from LEODIS....Undated The image shows the home of John Craig Hodgson, a solicitors clerk and part of a gang of Resurrectionists. These body snatchers stole recently interred bodies from graves and sold them to medical men for anatomical investigation. On the 1st June 1831 the body of Thomas Rothery, scalded to death at Bateson's Mill, Wortley, was taken from the graveyard of Wortley Parish Church. The body was later discovered hidden at Hodgson's home, pictured here. The cottage was located in Mill Lane, running from North Street to Crimbles Street behind the Golden Cross Inn. Here Hodgson regularly stored bodies until he could find customers who he charged approximately £12 per subject. Hodgson was found guilty after a four hour trial at the Leeds Borough Session on Park Row. After the verdict was given Hodgson admitted the crime and was sentenced to six weeks in York Castle and fined. He later studied medicine in Edingburgh before working in London as a Legal Advisor where he ultimately lost his position for not possessing a certificate or diploma. Hodgson was born in 1811 the son of the landlord of the Regent Inn, Kirkgate. He died of ill health in 1868 leaving behind two daughters. Visible above the cottages in the image is the clock tower and roof of the Midland Bank. The former bank building still stands today at number 195 North Street. It is known as Northwood House and is Grade II listed. The site of the Resurrection Cottage is now home to a bathroom centre. I think they may be a few yards out with the current site of the Resurrection Cottage, but as Homer says 'What are you gonna do?'When I see views like this one, I always think who would, or should be the most surprised. Us looking back, or our forebears in Leeds with the benefit of time travel?We will never know. And perhaps like Homer, we shouldn't care either.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Here's the map I marked off, although at the time I wasn't 100% certain. But the caption seems to back it up now. Although the two nearest buildings running in that direction, don't seem to match anything on the maps?
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Mill Lane it is then Phill. I must admit I got Leeds Terrace from the 1910 Tithe Map and thought that LEODIS would be getting Mill Lane from the era of the Resurrectionists criminal capers back in the nineteenth century.There should be one or two ghosts lurking around that bathroom shop.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Googled the bodysnatcher Hodgson and found this on the Rootsweb Ancestry site....1831November 11th. This day, Friday, a box arrived at the Bull and MouthHotel, Leeds, by the Duke of Leeds coach, from Manchester, containing the dead bodies of a woman and a child, addressed "To the Rev. Mr. Geneste, Hull, per Selby packet. To be left until called for. Glass, and keep this side up, Nov. 11th." On the Monday previous, the dead body of a young man was found in a box on the Courier coach, at the Rose and Crown Inn, Leeds, on its transit to the north. An inquest was held over the body by Mr. Barr, coroner, when the jury returned a verdict that the body was that of Robert Hudson, who hanged himself at East Ardsley, that it was disinterred and found as above-mentioned. Several persons were committed to York on a charge of body-stealing. A regular system of burking was brought to light. In London, two fellows named Bishop and Williams, were executed after making a confession of their guilt. At the Yorkshire spring assizes in the following year, John Craig Hodgson, aged 23, John Crabtree Pickering, 25, William Henry Bradley, 19, William Germain, 20, and James Norman, 20, of Leeds, were tried on a charge of unlawfully digging up and disinterring from and out of a grave in a church yard at East Ardsley, the body of Robert Hudson. Teale, one of the accomplices, turned king's evidence against the prisoners. They were all found guilty but Pickering, who was acquitted. Hodgson was sentenced to be imprisoned for one year, and find four sureties for good behaviour for two years, in the sum of £60 each, and that he be imprisoned until such sureties were found. Bradley. Germain, and Norman, were each sentenced to be imprisoned three calendar months, and at the end of that time find four sureties each for one year in the sum of £10 each.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

The photographer was stood around the corner from your red cross Phill, on Elmwood Street which is where the cars are parked.I did not include - because I took no notice of it - the LEODIS title along with the narrative. The title was as follows...Resurrection Cottage, Elmwood Street (Sheepscar) Here is another LEODIS capture of the cottages and backdrop from a different angle...http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Perhaps someone can help.Was the road (that I think is Sheepscar Street South) that feeds Claypit Lane from Sheepscar Street South always there?I cant make it out on the old maps too well, but given sheepscar street was only extended to the southern part in 1927 or thereabouts how could it have existed? the photo that shows the golden cross cafe (http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=7920)Seems to show that this is the case, but it seems to be an unnamed road. I know Vulcan Street was off to the right behind the van and ran parallel with North Street, but I cant quite work out of this road is in the same place as the road that is now between the plumb centre and the hand car wash.Please can someone assist, I think it was but am not 100% sure. The attached pic shows:Cross - where the Golden Cross Pub wasCircle- where Leeds Terrace etc and Resurrection Cottage wasLine - the road in question.
Attachments
__TFMF_p4rpp15534c5jp55nbpmqcu2_059d5e89-700a-45b6-b0d0-e5253040c2f5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_p4rpp15534c5jp55nbpmqcu2_059d5e89-700a-45b6-b0d0-e5253040c2f5_0_main.jpg (288.78 KiB) Viewed 3499 times