Where was the photographer stood?

How well do you know Leeds?
LS1

Post by LS1 »

Amazing, they are great photos. I have the second one in one of the Leeds Transport books. Colours are great.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Classic. Just classic. It would be fantastic just to be able to step back there.Even better to pay what, 11d (?) for a pint of whatever you wished in a proper pub.Thanks for putting those up Phill.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Classic. Just classic. It would be fantastic just to be able to step back there.Even better to pay what, 11d (?) for a pint of whatever you wished in a proper pub.Thanks for putting those up Phill. Indeed, even the old signs had character.Full version of the Ovaltine advert you can see.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Rakusen's foods are still going too.Rakusen’s was founded in 1890 by Lloyd Rakusen, who was a jeweller by trade. Every Passover, Lloyd would bake matzos in the kitchen of his home. This sideline blossomed into a flourishing business and by the early 1930’s a factory was built on Meanwood Road in Leeds to produce his matzos.The Company now operates from a modern factory on the outskirts of Leeds.
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

jim

Post by jim »

One of the places I worked at frequently as a young apprentice, later fitter, with BR was Hunslet Lane Goods (now Crown Point Retail Park). The top floor of the immense goods shed was mostly occupied by Rakusens who used it as a storage and forwarding site for their products. Boxes and boxes of foodstuffs I had never come across before were dispatched daily to destinations all over the country by Rakusens own on site staff, and more boxes came up the old hydraulic lifts and jiggers most days to replenish stock. Our instructions were "keep Rakkys happy, they are paying tenants", and faults on equipment used for their goods took priority.

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Deleted.