Where?

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leo taI missed yr post. That's a different one. The Leeds murder was George Anthony Browne 23.12.87 (dob 26.12.57).+pic.Yet oddly there seems to be no press coverage. Hope a passing SL ex officer recalls.
Attachments
__TFMF_ybyfr2fkfzzlfa55v55cney3_6a33fd02-a6af-4610-8899-adc834466b20_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ybyfr2fkfzzlfa55v55cney3_6a33fd02-a6af-4610-8899-adc834466b20_0_main.jpg (15.61 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Jogon wrote: Leo taI missed yr post. That's a different one. The Leeds murder was George Anthony Browne 23.12.87 (dob 26.12.57).+pic.Yet oddly there seems to be no press coverage. Hope a passing SL ex officer recalls. Ian Smith of Otley is usually "the man".....
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

morleyhall wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Love the last photo.     Is this corner shop what is now Hyde Park Source Phill? That's it................! Yes,love this old pic too...Dog thinks...I'll just nip to t'butchers 'n see if he's got a spare bone or two.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Jogon wrote: Caron wrote: Jogon wrote: Seem to recall a local bad.... murdered round there mid 80's.... bits of him all over Weird story, one of culprits called Hack or Haque... My sister lived around there in the 80's but I don't remember that?Pretty gruesome stuff.... 80's I'm sure the original "99 steps" were still there as I remember my sister and I using them and counting them on our way back to Kelso Court?      I well remember two lots of steps, the '100' as seen earlier with the cobbled slopes between streets, and '99' that I used, with a single continuous flight near enough. There was a 2nd hand shop at the bottom of the 99 steps, I saved up and bought a pair of wooden 'Indian Clubs' hoping to become a 'Charles Atlas' The same row of shops had my first Barber's, he had a polished board that spanned across the chair arms, to save him bending.
Touch not but the glove

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

(Copyright Eric Miles)One of the most evocative photos I've seen of Leeds.A very sobering and sad photo indeed.    
Attachments
old.lad (Large).jpg
old.lad (Large).jpg (162.28 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I wonder if the apparently enclosed area behind the lamp post had a purpose? See the photo on Phill's post on 27-Mar-2014 22:59:17 that is (currently at least) on the bottom of page 1 of this thread. The area is marked on the lower 1908 map in Phill's post on 03-Aug-2012 16:52:51.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Phill_dvsn wrote: (Copyright Eric Miles)One of the most evocative photos I've seen of Leeds.A very sobering and sad photo indeed.     I think the same has you Phill rose tinted glasses and all that. I think every one looks at there younger years with nostalgia I do when it comes to Hunslet just about every thing gone such a lively place when I was young.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: (Copyright Eric Miles)One of the most evocative photos I've seen of Leeds.A very sobering and sad photo indeed.     What year phil?I remember a lot of Buslingtorpe going. Beiderbecke caught some of the clearance near Melville Rd - Aristophanes Street etchttp://youtu.be/hCJxlKbLPuU?t=27m10s

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: (Copyright Eric Miles)One of the most evocative photos I've seen of Leeds.A very sobering and sad photo indeed.     What year phil? Not sure of the exact date Jogon.The guy Eric is very good in letting people re-post the photos on facebook and other places. I think he's a bit surprised at the amount of interest shown in them. To him at the time they were only snap shots I guess. But they've proved to be an excellent record of an era long since gone, and the photos are good quality in colour too.He has quite a few 1970's Leeds photos in this set herehttp://tinyurl.com/oodwxalThey are well worth looking at. I don't think he is from Leeds, so it was possibly when he was at Uni for a year or two. All the photos appear to be in the same time frame. Judging by the buses and bus crews uniform it was when Leeds City Transport was still in operation. So the photos are no later than 1974.             
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

Great Link Phil, a lot of the photos are from the area I grew up in LS4/6. Smashing photo of the railway bridge over the canal at Armley.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.