Where?

How well do you know Leeds?
book

Post by book »

Great old photos. When I first looked at the first one of the steps it reminded me of the nearly replica steps running between Ganton Mount and Glossop Street in WoodHouse.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

morleyhall wrote: Is this corner shop what is now Hyde Park Source Phill? Afraid not, everything you see at the top of that old photo has been flattened.This is the same view you'd get where the corner shop stoodhttp://goo.gl/maps/OsI2z        The very end building at the bottom of the street on the archive photo is all that survives todayhttp://goo.gl/maps/fTcp4It's a Chinese takeaway these days.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

morleyhall

Post by morleyhall »

When I lived on Rosebank Road it had already all gone. I couldn’t remember the door number off the top of my head earlier, as it was nearly 25 years ago when I lived there, but I’ve remembered it now, and it was number 2 Rosebank Road. I knew it had been an old corner shop in a previous life, but it was a 5 bedroom house with some very oddly shaped rooms when I lived there. The building looks to have undergone quite a few more alterations since we lived there, and it being converted into the Hyde Park Source. We hadn’t lived there very long before a small team of workmen turned up one morning and helped themselves to the old stone flags where I used to park my car. My sister made them cups of coffee while they dug them all up and loaded them onto a wagon. Around lunchtime, they told her that they were off to get some lunch, and that they would be back with the new concrete flags in a couple of hours and that they would probably have them all fitted before the end of the day. It only dawned on her when I came home from work that they hadn’t come back with the new flags.I also had 2 cars stolen that were never recovered inside 3 months of living there, and I lost count how many times I woke up to an empty petrol tank and was late for work at Brown & White Vauxhall because of it. The regular petrol thefts in the middle of the night eventually cost me my job, and that’s when I left Leeds for pastures new.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Seem to recall a local bad lad was murdered round there mid 80's.They found bits of him all over Weird story, one of culprits called Hack or Haque.Odd what junk you remember. Scary bad.    

Caron

Post by Caron »

Jogon wrote: Seem to recall a local bad lad was murdered round there mid 80's.They found bits of him all over Weird story, one of culprits called Hack or Haque.Odd what junk you remember. Scary bad.     My sister lived around there in the 80's but I don't remember that?Pretty gruesome stuff.It's been a long time since I was around that area but in the early 80's I'm sure the original "99 steps" were still there as I remember my sister and I using them and counting them on our way back to Kelso Court?     

carith

Post by carith »

The steps were on hollis place and could be accessed from Burley Road. At the top it lead out onto Belle Vue road. In the seventies there used to be Don's tatooist to the right as you came out at the top of the steps.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Caron wrote: Jogon wrote: Seem to recall a local bad.... murdered round there mid 80's.... bits of him all over Weird story, one of culprits called Hack or Haque... My sister lived around there in the 80's but I don't remember that?Pretty gruesome stuff.... 80's I'm sure the original "99 steps" were still there as I remember my sister and I using them and counting them on our way back to Kelso Court?      George Anthony Browne 26.12.57 - 23.12.87Odd case, think in the Kendals or Consorts. Wonder if any SL view has more info, cant find YP reports?

Caron

Post by Caron »

Hi Jogon. I have spent ages trying to find something relating to the Browne murder but I have found zilch. Not one mention of him can I find.I have found his grave on gravestonephotos.com. He is buried at Lawnswood along with someone called Albertha Martin.Lots of inscription on both headstones but when I zoom in it blurs.Beautifully kept graves at the time the photo was taken.    

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

You found more than me !And I live by Lawnswood A mate who lives abroad remembered more, tho cant vouch for this.Browne was in prison. Girlfriend found new boyfriend. He was released. They killed him in his sleep. Chopped him up and bits all round Leeds (head hands etc). Police quickly found them + the house.In terms of Policing Leeds quick good result. Any former Police able to put us right here?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Jogon.I think this may be a link to some information on the Browne murder you are asking about:- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7838573.stm
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.