The badly weathered lions at Leeds Town Hall.

The secret side of one of the most iconic buildings in Leeds.
hyperion

Re: The badly weathered lions at Leeds Town Hall.

Post by hyperion »

Many year ago there was a suggestion that the lions were the work of edwin h landseer.I cant remember the source of the speculation, but it may of been a local evening paper . I find it quite amazing that nobody knows who carved the lions. re portland stone is limestone unless anybody knows otherwise.
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Nothing wrong with Limestone, down in my neck of the woods both Bath and Cheltenham have many building constructed of that stone and they certainly look well on it.
I think the photo's posted earlier are terrific and nearly brought a tear to my eye when there were suggestions of replacing these gracious creatures.

(Both times when I had to go to court I gave them a touch on the way in and came out with a reasonable result)

hyperion

Post by hyperion »

Hiya francof
Just Googled Jesse Beatrice Kitson.I think your grandad must have been a comedian,thats the funny thing ive read today.
They say i have no talent and that I'm difficult to work with.And they say it as if its a bad thing

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Nice tale francof.

But here's the real Mayor.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-7072437

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Oh - and the sculptor was William Day Keyworth.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 8_66411990

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks all for the very interesting comments and information regarding the lions.

The attached photo that I took on May 14 2015 shows the less weathered lion that is the second in from Oxford Place (or the third in from Calverley Street). It compares well to the same lion in the photo in Leodis that Geordie-exile has given this link to http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL

In the superb 'Royal visit to leeds King George Queen Mary 1933' photo that hyperion provided there is what seems to be a young lad casually strolling close to the Royal carriage. I wonder why he was allowed to get so near? Perhaps he did it before anyone could react! It's possible that he could still be alive, so if so I wonder if he recalls the event?

From some posts I get an impression that it is thought I may be advocating that the lions are removed, but that is not the case as I think they are excellent features. I was simply pointing out that they look quite weathered now. Leo for the Lions :)
Attachments
A lion at Leeds Town Hall on May 14 2015.
A lion at Leeds Town Hall on May 14 2015.
010R.jpg (97.38 KiB) Viewed 87186 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Geordie-exile wrote:Oh - and the sculptor was William Day Keyworth.

Hi Geordie, yes, superficial searching all says Keyworth, but delving deeper reveals evidence that things may not be what they seem - or that simple, I can't add any more on here at present, but keep an open mind for now.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

chameleon wrote:
Geordie-exile wrote:Oh - and the sculptor was William Day Keyworth.

Hi Geordie, yes, superficial searching all says Keyworth, but delving deeper reveals evidence that things may not be what they seem - or that simple, I can't add any more on here at present, but keep an open mind for now.
I thought Matthew Noble did the lions

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

I understood that the when Winston Churchill came on a morale boosting rally the Mayor of Leeds was Hyman Morris, or maybe he visited more than once. My father came home and told the family about the crowds turning out and cheering the great man and if the Mayor had a very long beard I feel sure he would have mentioned it. I was only seven but the visit was often spoken of of in our house.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

No replies to this so maybe I have got my wires crossed......