Feature - March 2007, Leeds Town Hall

The secret side of one of the most iconic buildings in Leeds.
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Phill_d wrote: Yes they've started the tours again Drapsey. This is the info munki has supplied.Sundays between now & the middle of February. You can find out, & get to see the cells (as well as the marvellous old Victorian courtroom), by phoning the city centre box office on 0113 2243801. would love to go up the clock tower,however,i have seen all i want to of the victorian court rooms......and the cells ,thanks all the same..
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: Phill_d wrote: Yes they've started the tours again Drapsey. This is the info munki has supplied.Sundays between now & the middle of February. You can find out, & get to see the cells (as well as the marvellous old Victorian courtroom), by phoning the city centre box office on 0113 2243801. would love to go up the clock tower,however,i have seen all i want to of the victorian court rooms......and the cells ,thanks all the same.. What! an ex pupil of that most noble of educational establishments,King Edwards School at Cross Green,has been in the dock!i find this very very hard to believe.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: Phill_d wrote: Yes they've started the tours again Drapsey. This is the info munki has supplied.Sundays between now & the middle of February. You can find out, & get to see the cells (as well as the marvellous old Victorian courtroom), by phoning the city centre box office on 0113 2243801. would love to go up the clock tower,however,i have seen all i want to of the victorian court rooms......and the cells ,thanks all the same.. What! an ex pupil of that most noble of educational establishments,King Edwards School at Cross Green,has been in the dock!i find this very very hard to believe. yes,letting the side down old boy and all that,no doubt my face was erased from the rugby elite 13 and my name wiped from the annuls.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

kierentc

Post by kierentc »

muhniepie wrote: Having taken the excellent town hall tour on Friday 29th March I was informed that the tower of the town hall was a late addition. the original designs did not have the tower in them, and when Queen Victoria opened the town hall there was no tower. It made me think how weird it would look if a tower had never been built. I decided to do some playing in Photoshop to see what it would have looked like. thats just odd. and wrong lol

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

wiggy wrote: cnosni wrote: wiggy wrote: Phill_d wrote: Yes they've started the tours again Drapsey. This is the info munki has supplied.Sundays between now & the middle of February. You can find out, & get to see the cells (as well as the marvellous old Victorian courtroom), by phoning the city centre box office on 0113 2243801. would love to go up the clock tower,however,i have seen all i want to of the victorian court rooms......and the cells ,thanks all the same.. What! an ex pupil of that most noble of educational establishments,King Edwards School at Cross Green,has been in the dock!i find this very very hard to believe. yes,letting the side down old boy and all that,no doubt my face was erased from the rugby elite 13 and my name wiped from the annuls. One thought one was in the rowing team as well as the young gentlemans cigar club!!Poor show!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Did anyone notice the shape of the dome on the inside?I did and i started to wonder what it would have looked like without the bell shaped outer,and then i realised that Cuthbert had already provided the answer.
Attachments
__TFMF_kze5pgjfzevm4lmx3ylh5l45_996c2904-431d-4c3d-bbd3-76a627f2d0dc_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_kze5pgjfzevm4lmx3ylh5l45_996c2904-431d-4c3d-bbd3-76a627f2d0dc_0_main.jpg (6.84 KiB) Viewed 11546 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Here' another mystery for the secret Leeds gang, Especially munki our man on the inside. I've just been reading the town hall had an air raid shelter in the cellars and (maybe) a 'British restaurant' that could have opened 24 hours a day during the war. This is the quote....*********************************************** The Town Hall had an air raid shelter and a British Restaurant in the cellar during the war. British Restaurants existed in cities across Britain, and were an attempt to ensure the provision of wholesome meals for the populace. Leeds British Restaurant may have been open 24 hours during the war, though I haven't found confirmation of this. It closed in 1966, though is reportedly still physically existant, now used for storage. Just before midnight the Luftwaffe arrived and scattered explosives and incendiaries across the city. There was considerable panic as 4,600 houses, the museum and Town Hall were damaged. Casualty figures were often obscured in wartime to deny the Germans propaganda material but post-war records suggest 65 people were killed that night and 260 injured, 56 of them seriously. The worst raid was on 14 March 1941, when shortly before midnight high explosives and incendiaries were showered over the city. The telephone system was put out of action immediately, the waterworks and gas supplies were affected... some damage to the City Museum and the Town Hall, 4600 houses damaged (100 of them beyond repair) and 65 or 64 dead, 56 or 57 seriously [injured] and 202 or 203 slightly wounded. A bomb damaged the Town Hall (shortly before its clock struck midnight on 14 March 1941) and the City Museum. Those who passed the smouldering museum after the raid recalled a scattering of mounted butterflies from the collections. A dug-out boat that to life when Giggleswick Tarn was drained was blown into about 45 pieces (later to be painstakingly reassembled for exhibition in a special case with art-work to evoke the original setting). The wartime Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, arrived unexpectedly in Leeds that morning and spent three hours talking with local officials but found time to deliver an unprepared speech to 20,000 from the steps of Leeds Town Hall. Later, Churchill (waving the ubiquitous cigar) and his wife were driven round the streets in an open car.Here's the link to the pagehttp://www.monoculartimes.co.uk/city-tours/res ... ********So we have an air raid shelter/restaurant & the 'clock striking midnight' which I didn't think it did..And there's my behind the scenes of the town hall if anyone hasn't seen it herehttp://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=265602590&blogID=367054783        
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Si

Post by Si »

I don't know about the town hall air-raid shelter, but there was a British Restaurant in Otley. It was a Nissen-hut on Bondgate where the Garden of Remembrance is now.

munki

Post by munki »

Some from Leodis...#1
Attachments
__TFMF_epenxf55rtxelj2msua5td55_676d7158-c7e3-412a-b6c8-d5a452e2cece_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_epenxf55rtxelj2msua5td55_676d7158-c7e3-412a-b6c8-d5a452e2cece_0_main.jpg (43.29 KiB) Viewed 11546 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

Attachments
__TFMF_epenxf55rtxelj2msua5td55_e06027d1-83d9-4d53-9a52-91628b18ce3e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_epenxf55rtxelj2msua5td55_e06027d1-83d9-4d53-9a52-91628b18ce3e_0_main.jpg (61.71 KiB) Viewed 11546 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.