Feature - March 2007, Leeds Town Hall

The secret side of one of the most iconic buildings in Leeds.
simong

Post by simong »

Lyndoch wrote: Thank you for the pictures of Leeds Town HallGreat to see as I now live 12,000 miles away I think the sitr is a greatidea I used to live in Armley as a boy is there anything on Armley?Thanks Lyndoch Hi Lyndoch, welcome aboard. The site is a bit difficult to search but if you're looking for pictures of Armley you might want to try the city's photo archive at http://www.leodis.org. If you want to search this site for mentions of Armley, and there are plenty, try this Google search: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&as ... afe=images

Lyndoch

Post by Lyndoch »

Thank you simong for giving me the websiteI have been able to see many places of interestBeing now resident in Lyndoch South Australia:One of my neighbours is the winery "Jacobs Creek"you may know of this one , here in the Barossa Valleywe are surrounded by some 70 different wineries.Toady we are experiencing temps of 30 degs.I know you have snow to contend with (Thankfully that is a memory)Enjoy looking at Secret Leeds Thanks for your interest

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Lyndoch. Here's a Leodis pic of Armley, taken from Westerly Croft.
Attachments
__TFMF_jsgt1zbrrtqowl3p3wlkbk23_64e8d665-114c-4018-9d9b-172a0a4b479c_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_jsgt1zbrrtqowl3p3wlkbk23_64e8d665-114c-4018-9d9b-172a0a4b479c_0_main.jpg (45.33 KiB) Viewed 11010 times

Lyndoch

Post by Lyndoch »

Thanks for that... Si... I have looked on the Leodis site and seen many pictures of interest.. there is much to view on Armley I think your website and chat are greatThank you so much for your interest Lyndoch

Si

Post by Si »

Thanks, Lyndoch. Glad to be of assistance.

Lyndoch

Post by Lyndoch »

Tyke Bhoy asks for the name of the cinema next to the Beech Pub on Tong Road."The Crown" side street Allinson Street ran alongside itHappy New Year to all my ReadersLyndoch South Australia

John Croggy

Post by John Croggy »

I really enjoyed that trip around the Bridewell. It took me back a fewyears to when I used to parade for court duty and take prisoners up to Number 1 Court and queue in the Bridewell entrance passage with prisoners to be charged. I remember well giving evidence in that court and the others. Those pictures of the old cells are brilliant. I can think of a few today who should be in them. No tellys and choice of meals then! Thanks to everyone for the info. and photos. Great.

AmeliaC

Post by AmeliaC »

Hi everybody, I am making an art work for Leeds Town Hall which involves collating various bits of data about past uses of the Town Hall. Previous posts here have been really useful to me and I thought readers of the forum might be able to help with some of my outstanding questions. Questions:- How many ghosts does the Town Hall have? I've heard of 3 (Charlie Peace, Mary Blythe and a young girl whose body was found nearby and brought into the police station). - How many royals have visited the Town Hall? I want to tally all royal visits, from 1858 to the present. At the bottom of this post is a list of what I have found but I wonder if some more recent visits might be missing. Also I'm not sure if some of the Royals actually went to the Town Hall, or just Leeds in general. Any additions/clarifications much appreciated!- How many votes have been counted in the Town Hall during its lifetime?. An estimate for this will do! Hopefully electoral services are going to help me with recent counts but I don't know whether general and local election counts have always taken place at the Town Hall? Also, whether records of votes from these elections exist and where they would be. Eric from the Town Hall has made the useful comment that counts wouldn't have been in the Victoria Hall when it had fixed, theatre seating but I don't know when this was in place.- How much stone was used to build the Town Hall? or where might a record of this exist?- How many councillors has Leeds had from 1858 to the present? I've got a query pending at the civic hall to see if they have a complete list of these but if not, maybe someone has collated this in the past?About the projectThe piece I am making is going to be a series of 6 brass plaques displayed around the corridor on the ground floor of the Town Hall, juxtaposing different pieces of information such as those above, commemorating the cumulative, everyday or unusual things that happen at the Town Hall. It is being launched on the 10th of March along with the Leeds Postcard Project, which invites Leeds residents to share their memories and associations of the Town Hall. See here for postcards submitted so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedspostc ... actRespond here or to [email protected] in advance!AmeliaRoyal Visits to the Town Hall1858 - Queen Victoria, opening of the Town Hall.1868 - Edward Prince of Wales, opening Fine Art exhibition at the Infirmary1872 - Prince Arthur, opening Roundhay Park1875 - Duke of Edinburgh, open exhibition of arts & manufacture1885 - Edward Prince of Wales, opening Yorkshire college1894 - Duke and Duchess of York, inaugurating Medical school1895 - Edward Prince of Wales, came to Triennial music festival1908 - King Edward VII, opening new university buildings1918 - George V, know he was sung to in Victoria Hall1923 - Prince of Wales1933 - George V. 1958 Queen & Duke of Edinburgh for music festival1973 Queen Elizabeth, Queen mother1982 Queen Elizabeth, re-opening Art GalleryRoyal Visits that may or may not have gone to Town Hall1915 - George V1926 Princess Mary1937 George VI, passing on a coronation tour1942 Duke of Kent - visited Civic Hall, not sure about TH1949 Princess Elizabeth. Have found records of her going to Roundhay and Civic Hall.1966 Princess Margaret, opening school 1969 Princess Margaret, opening city museum 2002 Queen Elizabeth 2007 Princess Royal, opening Tiled Hall

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

AmeliaC wrote: Hi everybody, I am making an art work for Leeds Town Hall which involves collating various bits of data about past uses of the Town Hall. Previous posts here have been really useful to me and I thought readers of the forum might be able to help with some of my outstanding questions. Questions:- How many ghosts does the Town Hall have? I've heard of 3 (Charlie Peace, Mary Blythe and a young girl whose body was found nearby and brought into the police station). - How many royals have visited the Town Hall? I want to tally all royal visits, from 1858 to the present. At the bottom of this post is a list of what I have found but I wonder if some more recent visits might be missing. Also I'm not sure if some of the Royals actually went to the Town Hall, or just Leeds in general. Any additions/clarifications much appreciated!- How many votes have been counted in the Town Hall during its lifetime?. An estimate for this will do! Hopefully electoral services are going to help me with recent counts but I don't know whether general and local election counts have always taken place at the Town Hall? Also, whether records of votes from these elections exist and where they would be. Eric from the Town Hall has made the useful comment that counts wouldn't have been in the Victoria Hall when it had fixed, theatre seating but I don't know when this was in place.- How much stone was used to build the Town Hall? or where might a record of this exist?- How many councillors has Leeds had from 1858 to the present? I've got a query pending at the civic hall to see if they have a complete list of these but if not, maybe someone has collated this in the past?About the projectThe piece I am making is going to be a series of 6 brass plaques displayed around the corridor on the ground floor of the Town Hall, juxtaposing different pieces of information such as those above, commemorating the cumulative, everyday or unusual things that happen at the Town Hall. It is being launched on the 10th of March along with the Leeds Postcard Project, which invites Leeds residents to share their memories and associations of the Town Hall. See here for postcards submitted so far: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leedspostc ... actRespond here or to [email protected] in advance!AmeliaRoyal Visits to the Town Hall1858 - Queen Victoria, opening of the Town Hall.1868 - Edward Prince of Wales, opening Fine Art exhibition at the Infirmary1872 - Prince Arthur, opening Roundhay Park1875 - Duke of Edinburgh, open exhibition of arts & manufacture1885 - Edward Prince of Wales, opening Yorkshire college1894 - Duke and Duchess of York, inaugurating Medical school1895 - Edward Prince of Wales, came to Triennial music festival1908 - King Edward VII, opening new university buildings1918 - George V, know he was sung to in Victoria Hall1923 - Prince of Wales1933 - George V. 1958 Queen & Duke of Edinburgh for music festival1973 Queen Elizabeth, Queen mother1982 Queen Elizabeth, re-opening Art GalleryRoyal Visits that may or may not have gone to Town Hall1915 - George V1926 Princess Mary1937 George VI, passing on a coronation tour1942 Duke of Kent - visited Civic Hall, not sure about TH1949 Princess Elizabeth. Have found records of her going to Roundhay and Civic Hall.1966 Princess Margaret, opening school 1969 Princess Margaret, opening city museum 2002 Queen Elizabeth 2007 Princess Royal, opening Tiled Hall If the answers have come to light on here, a couple or three hours using 'search' and reading the results will bring them to light. For things you don't find for yourself, our administrator Munki may be well placed to help with through his association with the place.

munki

Post by munki »

I think Amelia probably knows more than I do already!The final cost for 'Stone, bricks, lime, cement & c was £2,400, 18s 6d'. The stone cost less than the chandeliers, less than the fittings and furniture, less than the plasterer's work... but has thankfully lasted longer than most of them.Any more answers for Amelia?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.