"The Iron Duke"

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
stevief

Post by stevief »

We've got a Wellington Street,Wellington Road,Wellington Bridge and even had a Wellesley Hotel a few years ago.So what exactly is the connection between Leeds and the Duke of Wellington?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

stevief wrote: We've got a Wellington Street,Wellington Road,Wellington Bridge and even had a Wellesley Hotel a few years ago.So what exactly is the connection between Leeds and the Duke of Wellington? I'm not sure but I believe one of the West Riding Regiments was known as the Duke of Wellingtons Own Of course it's entirely possible that they're all just named after the street, after all many towns have a Wellington Street - Morley certainly used to have. Wellington was a major figure in the nineteenth century, not only the victor over Napoleon but also Prime Minister at one point.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Trojan wrote: stevief wrote: We've got a Wellington Street,Wellington Road,Wellington Bridge and even had a Wellesley Hotel a few years ago.So what exactly is the connection between Leeds and the Duke of Wellington? I'm not sure but I believe one of the West Riding Regiments was known as the Duke of Wellingtons Own Of course it's entirely possible that they're all just named after the street, after all many towns have a Wellington Street - Morley certainly used to have. Wellington was a major figure in the nineteenth century, not only the victor over Napoleon but also Prime Minister at one point. Its probably nothing more than a nationwide commemoration of Wellington and his defeat of Boney at Waterloo.what we today dont appreciate is that for a large chunk of the late 18th century and up til 1815 Britain was competing with the French all over the globe,India,Canada and of course in Europe,where invasion of Britain by Boney was a real prospect.His final removal from the worlds political stage was a great relief to the country,which went on to be the only world super power, unchallenged for nearly a century after Waterloo.The man was a major league hero in the country,hence many monuments were erected in his honour,streets and buildings named after him all up and down the country.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

here we go...this is how i got my degree...arthur wellesley,later sir arthur wellesley,later the duke of wellington,named so after the battle of talavera was born in dublin (something he hated for some reason,saying often that just because he was born in a stable he was not a horse).he was bought,by his brother,the governor of india, a commision in the 71st regiment of foot as an ensign(second lieutenant) buying his way up the ranks,which was common at the time.he became lt colonel (the highest rank a soldier was able to purchase at the time) of the 33rd regiment of foot,later to become the duke of wellingtons regiment,now amalgamated to become 'the yorkshire regiment'.the 33rd was always a west riding regiment and fought extensively through india.the duke himself(nosey to his men)went on and on,as we know,becoming field marshall and then prime minister.it was while prime minister that he got the nick name 'the iron duke',after some stones were thrown at his house by the mob in london he had iron shutters fixed to his windows....now it must be said,that i can go on about this all night,the only thing is...i type like a pregnant fish,so i am sure you will find all you need to know on-line at places like wikipedia etc.all regiments at the time were numbered,not named and had coloured lapels and turnbacks so they could be distinguished at a distance,the 33rds were white.sorry to ramble,have a look else where if you want to know more,as i have had a drink and this has taken years to type...luv dave    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Well wiggy, in terms of a reponse, that was a 'first' (with Hons of course!).

stevief

Post by stevief »

wiggy wrote: here we go...this is how i got my degree...arthur wellesley,later sir arthur wellesley,later the duke of wellington,named so after the battle of talavera was born in dublin (something he hated for some reason,saying often that just because he was born in a stable he was not a horse).he was bought,by his brother,the governor of india, a commision in the 71st regiment of foot as an ensign(second lieutenant) buying his way up the ranks,which was common at the time.he became lt colonel (the highest rank a soldier was able to purchase at the time) of the 33rd regiment of foot,later to become the duke of wellingtons regiment,now amalgamated to become 'the yorkshire regiment'.the 33rd was always a west riding regiment and fought extensively through india.the duke himself(nosey to his men)went on and on,as we know,becoming field marshall and then prime minister.it was while prime minister that he got the nick name 'the iron duke',after some stones were thrown at his house by the mob in london he had iron shutters fixed to his windows....now it must be said,that i can go on about this all night,the only thing is...i type like a pregnant fish,so i am sure you will find all you need to know on-line at places like wikipedia etc.all regiments at the time were numbered,not named and had coloured lapels and turnbacks so they could be distinguished at a distance,the 33rds were white.sorry to ramble,have a look else where if you want to know more,as i have had a drink and this has taken years to type...luv dave     Thanks wiggy.Not many stones left unturned there!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

if anyone is interested,'wellington the years of the sword'by lady longford is a cracking read,far superior to vincent cronins'napoleon',which i found to be like running in treacle.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

wiggy wrote: if anyone is interested,'wellington the years of the sword'by lady longford is a cracking read,far superior to vincent cronins'napoleon',which i found to be like running in treacle. If you want it laced with a bit of romance - much of the above can be found in the Sharpe books.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

got them all....much better than the mis-cast series...and very imformative,but don't expect mills and boon,there is nothing our BLACK haired richard sharpe likes better than a bit of hack and slash,with the SANDY haired,TWENTY ODD year old sergeant harper.to tell the truth,it was the bernard cornwell novels that got me intersted in the peninsular war in the first place.start with sharpes tiger and progress from there.when i started there were only a handful,but there are over 20 now,and each one a reeet riveting read.they don't get published in any particular order,but by the time you have read the first few,a couple more will be in print.just get sean bean out of your heads.the main charachter is based on two real life exploring officers exploits,so it's good stuff.....enjoy...much better written than hornblower series.......dw