Woodhall Hills Calverley

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
slw

Post by slw »

Does anybody know where I can obtain maps, planning and information on Woodhall Hills Calverley showing the landscape etc of 100 years ago.Thank you

Si

Post by Si »

Have you tried the golf club? They usually have a history of the club and it's environs. There's an interesting disused road that crosses Woodhall Lane/Road - it's called Priesthorpe Road, I think. Years ago it still had a Yorkshire stone pavement and the remains of a cobbled surface, and even had a gas lamp still standing, even though it runs through fields. It was impassable except for 4X4s or trailbikes. I think it runs from Bradford Moor area to Rodley(?) There's a large quarry near there, too, and there was/is a small hamlet on the hill with an old schoolhouse. There's also an unusual stonewall feature up there I think I mentioned on another thread (can't remember which.) Hope this is of help.    

Si

Post by Si »

PS slw - do you know anything of the wooden house/pavilion that used to stand in the grounds of the "Blue Lagoon" near there on Woodhall Lane? I would love to see a picture of that when it was still in use.

chamusdarrach

Post by chamusdarrach »

Just over a year ago a friend of mine bought both the quarry, the golf clubs, indeed come to think of it, most of the hillside for that matter.He has plans to use the quarry for inert landfill, as it still has planning permission to be used as such from the council, so any exploration of the quarry area should be done soon, before it all gets filled in!!Preisthorpe road has been blocked off at the bradford, and woodhall ends to stop it being used as a dumping ground for stolen vehicles, and other undesirable activities ( Use your imagination!!)
The Health and Safey Executive." Striving to take the fun and enjoyment of life away from us all "

slw

Post by slw »

Si wrote: PS slw - do you know anything of the wooden house/pavilion that used to stand in the grounds of the "Blue Lagoon" near there on Woodhall Lane? I would love to see a picture of that when it was still in use. Hi Si,Thanks for the info which was for my other half. He is more familiar with the area than I am so I will ask him if he knows anything about the "Blue Lagoon"Thanks to Chamusdarrach as well Sarah    

Si

Post by Si »

No problem, Sarah.I noticed on Google Earth that Priesthorpe Lane seems to have been resurfaced with crushed hard-core. There'll be no sign of the kerbstones or lamp post, then. Also, I noticed the quarry is now disused. In the late 60s/early 70s it was full of earth-moving machines, and there were some wooden buildings. We used to ride our push-bikes in the woods above the quarry, and if memory serves, occasionally there would be a siren to warn of blasting. Immediately beyond a stone wall at the bottom of the woods was a huge vertical drop! No H&S signs in them days! Beyond the quarry was/is The Blue Pig pub. Not strictly Leeds, but a good place to start boozing (under-age.) It was the first pub I ever had Marston's, Jenning's, Taylor's or Goose Eye!