Icecream Vans / Sellers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I remember Frank Grannelli's shop in Hudson Road, Leeds 9 selling penny lollies in the 40's & 50's and ice cream of course. I also seem to remember a company called "Eldorado" which sold wrapped ice cream in what, in those days, we referred to as bricks. If I remember rightly it was more yellow coloured than white.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Johnny39 wrote: I remember Frank Grannelli's shop in Hudson Road, Leeds 9 selling penny lollies in the 40's & 50's and ice cream of course. I also seem to remember a company called "Eldorado" which sold wrapped ice cream in what, in those days, we referred to as bricks. If I remember rightly it was more yellow coloured than white. I remember the Hudson Rd shop too, on the opposite side of the road from Burton's factory. I wasn't certain that it was owned by Granelli's but I remember buying Granellis ice cream there.Also a Granellis ice cream ( a twist) from the stall by the entrance of Kirgate market was a regular treat whenever I went to the market with my granddad. Ice cream never tasted as good since.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Dug this out from earlier in the thread - ties-in a little with Hudson Road -Location: LeedsJoined on: 29-Mar-2007 22:46:49Posted: 1823 posts # Posted on: 13-Feb-2008 22:48:58. Going back to early school days, anothee real Ice Cream man was Granellis. I remember a small dark haired chap used to come round, sometime with his son helping, Ice cream scooped out of the frezer, 'sandwhiches' made in a hand held mould filled with icecream - for a penny (1d) extra you could have a chocolate covered wafer on one side, Ice lollies (watery ones) 2d or creamy ones for a treat at 3d.A really friendly chap and I remember he used to live at No. 3 on Stanley Road near St James' !

Bert

Post by Bert »

Penz wrote: chameleon wrote: Old Leo wrote: Let's go back a bit further in time. Does anyone else remember the early 40's with the Walls ice cream man on his tricycle with the cold box in front and the motto 'Stop me and buy one'? A popular buy then for a penny was what we'd now call an iced lolly in a triangular cardboard cover. Think these might have been mentioned earlier Leo, certainly the rather non-descript square yellow vans with their bing-bong call. The trikes were around for a long time though, I remember seeing them in the late 50's (can't quite go back to yout 40's though - arry might remember ). Yes, I remember the bikes and the triangular lollies in the 50's at Crossgates. 'And the last time I saw an ice cream bicycle? Yesterday! We've got one in Penzance that 'parks' on the main car park.     I remember ice lolly bikes in Crossgates in the mid-fifties too, but not triangular lollies - big round ones with flat tops and bottoms that looked and tasted as though they were just pop frozen in moulds with a stick stuck in. They were always covered in an icy frost that, if you weren't careful, your tongue would stuck to and could be wrenched off only with considerable pain. and we loved them!

midger

Post by midger »

peterg wrote: In 1939 in Cross Gates there was the Lusardi family selling ice cream. I believe there were two brothers, each with his own cart. I was at school with a Silvia Lusardi. Years later, when I was at St. Michael's College, an ice cream vendor brough his cart to the back gate of the college every day, winter and summer alike, because he always had customers. I think a sandwich cost 3d at that time. You might be interested to know that one of those two brothers was Oreste who was in fact my grandfather and Sylvia is my mother. Grandad passed away about 10 years ago at the ripe old age of 96! Sylvia is currently living in Cape Town.

jonleeds

Post by jonleeds »

I know its not strictly Leeds, but as I'm originally a Morley lad, and I was born in Dewsbury that technically makes me partly 'Heavy Woolen District' / Kirklees bred. Anyway if you enjoy ice cream and frozen treats you really must check out Dixons Milk Ices in Lockwood, Huddersfield. Google it to find out where it is as it can be a bit of a sod to find if you arent familiar with the area. But you will be in for an ice cream bonanza / experience that you will never forget, and you'll most likely go back for more. Dixons Milk Ices is a genuine Yorkshire ice cream parlour of old. Its been there donkeys years and apparently they supply ice cream to local vans. Once you've eaten Dixons you'll think twice about buying 'Ben & Jerry's' or that 'Hagen Daaz' muck. The shop is open til late and there is a great range of flavours and as its in Huddersfield you arent paying daft Leeds prices. You can get it to take home in a box too, but if you arent local then you'd need a freezer box to transport it in cos like most ice cream once it melts if you refreeze it then its garbage. When I saw this thread I thought I ought to mention it and when I did a search on the web for Dixons Milk Ices I couldnt find one negative review, and Yorkshire folk can be a pretty shrewd lot so this speaks volumes. Seriously if you are ever Huddersfield-bound on a sunny day dont miss out, I know it sounds crackers to be so enthusiastic about ice cream, but this isnt any old ice cream that I'm on about... Its a shame there isnt one in Leeds cos it'd be a licence to print money in summer up round Hyde Park area where the students pack out the park. Anyway you have been informed, miss out at your peril, or check this place out and you too will be raving about the place to complete strangers on internet forums... they ought to be paying me in ice cream for this heartfelt recommendation!
Have your fun when you're alive - you won't get nothing when you die... have a good time all the time! - Chumbawumba!

And no matter how things end, you should always keep in touch with your friends - Dave Gedge

Si

Post by Si »

I've had ice-cream from Dixon's, Jon. Delicious!

peterg

Post by peterg »

midger wrote: peterg wrote: In 1939 in Cross Gates there was the Lusardi family selling ice cream. I believe there were two brothers, each with his own cart. I was at school with a Silvia Lusardi. Years later, when I was at St. Michael's College, an ice cream vendor brough his cart to the back gate of the college every day, winter and summer alike, because he always had customers. I think a sandwich cost 3d at that time. You might be interested to know that one of those two brothers was Oreste who was in fact my grandfather and Sylvia is my mother. Grandad passed away about 10 years ago at the ripe old age of 96! Sylvia is currently living in Cape Town. I was very interested to read this post. When you get to our age, it becomes increasingly hard to locate contemporaries. Silvia and I were in the same class at St. Theresa's and, when it came to the reading class, she and I and two more were put aside on a separate desk and left in peace because we already knew how to read.Please ask your mother if she remembers Peter Gilboy. I was not long at St. Theresa's because, with my father being away in the Army and the proximity of Barnbow, my mother evacuated us to live with relatives in Pontefract and Batley.

mayslass

Post by mayslass »

There was a Walls Ice Cream factory on junction of Pontefract Lane & Easy Road in the 1950's - early 60's. We used to go there with a large basin 1/- (a shillings worth) on a sunday so we could have a treat after sunday dinner. Used to stick our own flakes in it.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

When I was a nipper back in the 50s I lived on Pemberton Street and, I may be wrong, but I think Cavalli's ice cream was sold from a hand cart in the area. Mr Cavalli also had a connection with The Craven Gate pub on Dow Street near the Hunslet railway line.