Icecream Vans / Sellers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Penz wrote: I was an 'ice cream man' in the late 60's and early 70's, which was the hey day for this industry. I knew, or at least knew of, most of the names already mentioned.........................................products.     I look forward to seeing your pictures penz,wasnt the 100E engine the same one they 'banged' in the anglia????And just what is it they have done to the ice-cream nowadays?i got one from a van at tempsy yesterday and it tasted just like powdered milk!If the industry is dying on its ar$e why don't they just revert back to the old gear that actually did taste of something,instead of trying to flog us this cold white stuff that tastes of [edited for content]
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

We had a Fall's ice cream man round our way and as kids we took great delight in putting a couple of bricks infront of the back wheels of the van so when he set off the jolt used to rattle the boxes off the shelves.We then had the cheek to run round to his next stop and ask if he had any "brokken cornets"

Penz

Post by Penz »

Brandy wrote: Penz wrote: I was an 'ice cream man' in the late 60's and early 70's, which was the hey day for this industry. I knew, or at least knew of, most of the names already mentioned.........................................products.     I look forward to seeing your pictures penz,wasnt the 100E engine the same one they 'banged' in the anglia????And just what is it they have done to the ice-cream nowadays?i got one from a van at tempsy yesterday and it tasted just like powdered milk!If the industry is dying on its ar$e why don't they just revert back to the old gear that actually did taste of something,instead of trying to flog us this cold white stuff that tastes of [edited for content] The 1960's Anglia was a 105E engine. The 100E engine was used in the 1950's Popular, Prefect and Anglia. Very reliable engines. They used to run all day long (about 8 hours) 7 days a week and almost never broke down. As well as powering the Carpiagani machine and the freezer they provided 240v electric .... so we could have a kettle or anything in the van. I remember a story of one van being used once at a Leeds hospital during a power cut, but I can't verify if it was fact or fiction. Maybe someone else can???And if you want to buy real ice cream you still can. Wall's is still as good as ever ...... and IMO is the best ice cream you can buy. I tried some Lyons Made recently .... and it was awful.    

FoxyLady

Post by FoxyLady »

As far as i'm aware you can still get twist cornets in Leeds Market (or at least you could a couple of years back), when I was little and came into town with mum and dad, we always has to stop off for dad to get one!! I remember the Rossi guy from the photo too, I also remember a different ice-cream man from when I was younger who sold a 'Fudgery-Do' which consisted of soft whippy ice-cream, fudge sticks (instead of flakes), strawberry sauce, sherbert sprinkles and those little multi-coloured puff things that I can't remember the name of!! They were the best, never heard of one from anyone else though!!

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

peterg wrote: In 1939 in Cross Gates there was the Lusardi family selling ice cream. I believe there were two brothers, each with his own cart. I was at school with a Silvia Lusardi. Years later, when I was at St. Michael's College, an ice cream vendor brough his cart to the back gate of the college every day, winter and summer alike, because he always had customers. I think a sandwich cost 3d at that time. Peterg, in the 60s I think it was on Crossgates Lane there was Treats ice cream factory, and I can remember my mother working there one summer and we got to have the samples of new products, but I dont know who took it ver.
Ex Leeds Lass

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Penz wrote: I was an 'ice cream man' in the late 60's and early 70's, which was the hey day for this industry. I knew, or at least knew of, most of the names already mentioned.At first working from a Wall's franchise at Horsforth and then from a Wall's/Whippy franchise run by the DiClemente family in Chapletown, later on I had my own van for some time, buying my products from Guanaria's on Easy Road, Thornton's (they made the best cider lollies ever!) and Treat's (now one of the biggest ice lolly manufacturers in the country). I still have a few photo's of the vans, so I'll dig them out and post them soon.I had 2 rounds and I alternated between them when I got bored with one or the other. One round was Garforth, Swillington & Aberford. The other was the Hawksworth estate, cookridge and West Park and I parked in West Park Girls School at lunchtime, Cookridge Asda during the day and at Golden Acre Park on Sunday afternoons in Summer.Just to correct Wiggy, the rear engine in the Commer Karrier vans were in fact a Ford 100E engine from the Ford Prefect. To answer an earlier question, the Wall's Bedford CA vans were made by Smith's Industries. The pink & cream Mr Whippy vans had coachwork by Cummins and Carpigiani ice cream machines. These were IMO superior to the blue & white Morrisons vans used by Mr Softy equipped with Maria ice cream machines.Wall's were very litigious in those days and threatened court action against anyone using the Whippy name or even copying the Mr Whippy colours.    Interesting fact; The reason the cone with a flake is known as a '99' is because Cadbury's were the first company to make chocolate flakes and they were No. 99 on their salesmen's list of products.     Are the DiClemente family still down Burley?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Penz

Post by Penz »

Chrism wrote: Are the DiClemente family still down Burley? I don't think so. A guy called Ian now has the Mr Whippy franchise. I think I know him from some years ago.Mario DiClemente and His wife went back to Italy some years ago. John & Ann & their sons continued the ice cream business .... but they seem to have stopped now.

Old Leo

Post by Old Leo »

Let's go back a bit further in time. Does anyone else remember the early 40's with the Walls ice cream man on his tricycle with the cold box in front and the motto 'Stop me and buy one'? A popular buy then for a penny was what we'd now call an iced lolly in a triangular cardboard cover.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Old Leo wrote: Let's go back a bit further in time. Does anyone else remember the early 40's with the Walls ice cream man on his tricycle with the cold box in front and the motto 'Stop me and buy one'? A popular buy then for a penny was what we'd now call an iced lolly in a triangular cardboard cover. Think these might have been mentioned earlier Leo, certainly the rather non-descript square yellow vans with their bing-bong call. The trikes were around for a long time though, I remember seeing them in the late 50's (can't quite go back to yout 40's though - arry might remember ).

Penz

Post by Penz »

chameleon wrote: Old Leo wrote: Let's go back a bit further in time. Does anyone else remember the early 40's with the Walls ice cream man on his tricycle with the cold box in front and the motto 'Stop me and buy one'? A popular buy then for a penny was what we'd now call an iced lolly in a triangular cardboard cover. Think these might have been mentioned earlier Leo, certainly the rather non-descript square yellow vans with their bing-bong call. The trikes were around for a long time though, I remember seeing them in the late 50's (can't quite go back to yout 40's though - arry might remember ). Yes, I remember the bikes and the triangular lollies in the 50's at Crossgates. 'And the last time I saw an ice cream bicycle? Yesterday! We've got one in Penzance that 'parks' on the main car park.