Icecream Vans / Sellers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Brackenwood Estate circa 1970 (?) the writing on the van said "Yipee, it's Woodys Whipee". ps Grecos biscuits & ice cream cone factory (I think) just about here, in fact I expect those student halls were built on the site ofhttp://goo.gl/maps/348Ia

Carona

Post by Carona »

I lived in Burley, Leeds 4 as a kid and only remember Tonibell. Anyone remember when you could ask for chopped nut bits on the ice cream? due to nut allergies it's no longer an option. Ice cream tubs during the cinema breaks sold with a small plastic spoon were expensive but a treat     

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

I lived in Burley, Leeds 4 as a kid and only Frank Grannelli used to come round no musical box just a bell that he rang This was in the fifties cracking ice creamI remember we would take a glass and he would put a scoop of ice cream in then we would take it home and fill it with lemonade pure heaven
life is not a dress rehearsal

Pong e Beck

Post by Pong e Beck »

Kirkdale's were served by Fall's ice cream, a pink and white van, I'd go for a yellow teddy bear milk lolly, if not a tub. Shop bought preferences were Lord Toffo; or a Lolly-Gobble-Choc-Bomb.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Pong e Beck wrote: Kirkdale's were served by Fall's ice cream, a pink and white van, I'd go for a yellow teddy bear milk lolly, if not a tub. Shop bought preferences were Lord Toffo; or a Lolly-Gobble-Choc-Bomb. I've never heard of it so I've never had one, but a Lolly-Gobble-Choc-Bomb sounds yummy and fun!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

Hi all. Having read the recent comments on the thread regarding the Secret Leeds new website, and feeling quite sad at the tone, I thought this photo might cheer people up. Sorting through some family photos which needed tagging, I found this, knowing the address as 12 Haymount Street, Newtown and most of the people in it. Also how refreshing that although Leodis photo's were before demolition, this shows poor people having a good time!!
Attachments
021.jpg
021.jpg (284.89 KiB) Viewed 2295 times

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

Great photo, Urban Rambler. Do you have a date for it?

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

My mum is the little girl next to the ice-cream man (far left of the three girls at the front), so as she was born 1929, I would think it was about 1935.

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

midger wrote: peterg wrote: In 1939 in Cross Gates there was the Lusardi family selling ice cream. I believe there were two brothers, each with his own cart. I was at school with a Silvia Lusardi. Years later, when I was at St. Michael's College, an ice cream vendor brough his cart to the back gate of the college every day, winter and summer alike, because he always had customers. I think a sandwich cost 3d at that time. You might be interested to know that one of those two brothers was Oreste who was in fact my grandfather and Sylvia is my mother. Grandad passed away about 10 years ago at the ripe old age of 96! Sylvia is currently living in Cape Town. My mother was born in Harehills in 1927 and remembers the Lusardis selling ice cream from a bike in the 1930's and my Dad also knew them as he attended St Michaels as well. In the 1960's my family moved from Wortley to Hayfield Avenue, Boston Spa and my parents met and got to be friends with Sylvia who had married Terry Midgley ,and who ,as far as I know ,had taken over running the business.I sometimes went to their house on a large estate at the top of the village to play with the middle son,whose name I now forget sadly.We saw them occasionally as they were often away at boarding school I think ,but they had their own go cart track in the back garden! We moved away in 1970 and I heard they went to South Africa for Terry's health and always wondered what happened to them and the business.

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

midger wrote: peterg wrote: In 1939 in Cross Gates there was the Lusardi family selling ice cream. I believe there were two brothers, each with his own cart. I was at school with a Silvia Lusardi. Years later, when I was at St. Michael's College, an ice cream vendor brough his cart to the back gate of the college every day, winter and summer alike, because he always had customers. I think a sandwich cost 3d at that time. You might be interested to know that one of those two brothers was Oreste who was in fact my grandfather and Sylvia is my mother. Grandad passed away about 10 years ago at the ripe old age of 96! Sylvia is currently living in Cape Town. My mother was born in Harehills in 1927 and remembers the Lusardis selling ice cream from a bike in the 1930's and my Dad also knew them as he attended St Michaels as well. In the 1960's my family moved from Wortley to Hayfield Avenue, Boston Spa and my parents met and got to be friends with Sylvia who had married Terry Midgley ,and who ,as far as I know ,had taken over running the business.I sometimes went to their house on a large estate at the top of the village to play with the middle son,whose name I now forget sadly.We saw them occasionally as they were often away at boarding school I think ,but they had their own go cart track in the back garden! We moved away in 1970 and I heard they went to South Africa for Terry's health and always wondered what happened to them and the business.