Icecream Vans / Sellers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

midger wrote: peterg wrote: In 1939 in Cross Gates there was the Lusardi family selling ice cream. I believe there were two brothers, each with his own cart. I was at school with a Silvia Lusardi. Years later, when I was at St. Michael's College, an ice cream vendor brough his cart to the back gate of the college every day, winter and summer alike, because he always had customers. I think a sandwich cost 3d at that time. You might be interested to know that one of those two brothers was Oreste who was in fact my grandfather and Sylvia is my mother. Grandad passed away about 10 years ago at the ripe old age of 96! Sylvia is currently living in Cape Town. My mother was born in Harehills in 1927 and remembers the Lusardis selling ice cream from a bike in the 1930's and my Dad also knew them as he attended St Michaels as well. In the 1960's my family moved from Wortley to Hayfield Avenue, Boston Spa and my parents met and got to be friends with Sylvia who had married Terry Midgley ,and who ,as far as I know ,had taken over running the business.I sometimes went to their house on a large estate at the top of the village to play with the middle son,whose name I now forget sadly.We saw them occasionally as they were often away at boarding school I think ,but they had their own go cart track in the back garden! We moved away in 1970 and I heard they went to South Africa for Terry's health and always wondered what happened to them and the business.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

PaulB wrote: midger wrote: peterg wrote: In 1939 in Cross Gates there was the Lusardi family selling ice cream. I believe there were two brothers, each with his own cart. I was at school with a Silvia Lusardi. Years later, when I was at St. Michael's College, an ice cream vendor brough his cart to the back gate of the college every day, winter and summer alike, because he always had customers. I think a sandwich cost 3d at that time. You might be interested to know that one of those two brothers was Oreste who was in fact my grandfather and Sylvia is my mother. Grandad passed away about 10 years ago at the ripe old age of 96! Sylvia is currently living in Cape Town. My mother was born in Harehills in 1927 and remembers the Lusardis selling ice cream from a bike in the 1930's and my Dad also knew them as he attended St Michaels as well. In the 1960's my family moved from Wortley to Hayfield Avenue, Boston Spa and my parents met and got to be friends with Sylvia who had married Terry Midgley ,and who ,as far as I know ,had taken over running the business.I sometimes went to their house on a large estate at the top of the village to play with the middle son,whose name I now forget sadly.We saw them occasionally as they were often away at boarding school I think ,but they had their own go cart track in the back garden! We moved away in 1970 and I heard they went to South Africa for Terry's health and always wondered what happened to them and the business. Hi there Pal, how long have you had the stutter ? My Brother went to St. Michaels in the mid 40s so if your Dad is still alive ask him if he knew Peter Daly. The Lusardi's and Granell'is came around the newly built Gipton Estate on tricycles, on a hot day you had to eat the ice cream quickly as no refrigeration in those days (Sorry this posted in wrong place)    

Andycav

Re: Icecream Vans / Sellers

Post by Andycav »

Cavalli mosaics