Holbeck - inner city desolation

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

A trip down the blocked off sweet street past the "Commie" reveals perhaps the most desolate forgotten area of Leeds industrial past Bath Road. The abandoned land was once tight old houses for the people who worked on the railways, foundries and mills of the area.Today it's a refuge for reps in their cars and workmen in their wagons looking for somewhere to have a kip and a rest!!What I found interesting was the remnants of a row of blind back one up one down? houses on Derwent view. Because the back wall was also the wall of the old Linen Factory (which Kays took over) their demolition in the slum clearances was only front and side walls and roof.To prop the remaining wall up a series of buttresses were built where each side wall was, but the back internal walls of the old houses are laid bare and an array of plastered walls, supports for the stairs, batons for wall shelving, a fireplace?, a strange metal box too high to identify and other features act as a sort of ghostly reminder of the (quite old) houses and people who lived there.....

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

Hi ParksiderThere was something in the evening post last week about Sweet Street, i'm pretty sure they are going to re-open it. Fantastic if they do, this is an area that has long held an interest for me ever since i worked at Kays when i was 17. Unfortunately to go exploring round that area often brings you into touch with some of the more "unsavoury" characters of Holbeck!

Si

Post by Si »

There's a few of these "walls" scattered around Leeds and surrounding areas. One that comes to mind is by the Railway pub in Pudsey. They remind me of pictures of bombed houses during the War, where the side of a house has gone, but wall mirrors and precariously balanced furniture remain intact.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

The Parksider wrote: A trip down the blocked off sweet street past the "Commie" reveals perhaps the most desolate forgotten area of Leeds industrial past Bath Road. The abandoned land was once tight old houses for the people who worked on the railways, foundries and mills of the area.Today it's a refuge for reps in their cars and workmen in their wagons looking for somewhere to have a kip and a rest!!What I found interesting was the remnants of a row of blind back one up one down? houses on Derwent view. Because the back wall was also the wall of the old Linen Factory (which Kays took over) their demolition in the slum clearances was only front and side walls and roof.To prop the remaining wall up a series of buttresses were built where each side wall was, but the back internal walls of the old houses are laid bare and an array of plastered walls, supports for the stairs, batons for wall shelving, a fireplace?, a strange metal box too high to identify and other features act as a sort of ghostly reminder of the (quite old) houses and people who lived there..... i was actually born up that way,and as a small child i loved it.the area was crammed with back to backs.i would love to know what is on the site of our old house now...no1 bowness place,just off bowness road,which later became cambrian road...anyone know??
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Si wrote: There's a few of these "walls" scattered around Leeds and surrounding areas. One that comes to mind is by the Railway pub in Pudsey. They remind me of pictures of bombed houses during the War, where the side of a house has gone, but wall mirrors and precariously balanced furniture remain intact. Or even the cover of Led Zeppelin IV...?
Attachments
__TFMF_mci2x155egmv3qrwn4nfhprf_5b9bad6a-0c54-415e-b560-1860f3bc4646_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_mci2x155egmv3qrwn4nfhprf_5b9bad6a-0c54-415e-b560-1860f3bc4646_0_main.jpg (68.27 KiB) Viewed 2306 times
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

FarnleyBloke wrote: Hi ParksiderThere was something in the evening post last week about Sweet Street, i'm pretty sure they are going to re-open it. Fantastic if they do, this is an area that has long held an interest for me ever since i worked at Kays when i was 17. Unfortunately to go exploring round that area often brings you into touch with some of the more "unsavoury" characters of Holbeck! Yeah its reopening,all to do with the Holbeck Urban Village.(and perhaps for something that may be being built on Sweet Street,SSSShhhhhh!!)
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Si

Post by Si »

drapesy wrote: Si wrote: There's a few of these "walls" scattered around Leeds and surrounding areas. One that comes to mind is by the Railway pub in Pudsey. They remind me of pictures of bombed houses during the War, where the side of a house has gone, but wall mirrors and precariously balanced furniture remain intact. Or even the cover of Led Zeppelin IV...? Yes, indeed!

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

cnosni wrote: FarnleyBloke wrote: Hi ParksiderThere was something in the evening post last week about Sweet Street, i'm pretty sure they are going to re-open it. Fantastic if they do, this is an area that has long held an interest for me ever since i worked at Kays when i was 17. Unfortunately to go exploring round that area often brings you into touch with some of the more "unsavoury" characters of Holbeck! Yeah its reopening,all to do with the Holbeck Urban Village.(and perhaps for something that may be being built on Sweet Street,SSSShhhhhh!!) oohhh do tell!!

Si

Post by Si »

Would it begin with an "A", Cnosni?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: Would it begin with an "A", Cnosni? Its certainly a starter for 10 mate.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com