Coal Mines in Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Some of the very locations which started this thread liiits - more info further back there.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Trojan wrote: Barwicker wrote: I believe that the subsidence mentioned above affecting Bullerthorpe Lane may have been caused by the workings of Temple Pit which was certainly in this area. The pits at Colton I understood to be mostly "Bell Pits", still possibly dangerous but less likely to cause that sort of subsidence. There were of course at least three deep mines at Garforth, all at one time owned by the Gascoigne family and when I lived in Crossgates many years ago the house was very close to what had been Brianside Colliery, somewhere in the triangle outlined by York Road, Crossgates Road & Crossgates Lane, again giving a reason for many road names. I suppose most people round Leeds associate mining with Wakefield and the areas further south, but it's less than a generation that there was coal mining in the Leeds area. I remember miners in their muck, still wearing their helmets catching the 52/53 in Morley. Admitedly this was in the days when the LCT buses were blue, but it's in my living memory, and I'm still working age (just) so presumably it's in other's living memory too. Yes it,s in my living memory. I worked at Middleton Broom in the 60s

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Brandy wrote: when i was younger my grandad used to tell me that below us(on the gipton estate) there used to be miles of old mine shafts and he told me that the hills circled in red are actually slag heaps my gran used to look for coal on the 'pit hill',on gipton during the war,the slag heap as it was then,the one on your picture was much bigger,it was reduced in size after aberfan,then again when they built the old folks home in the 80s.i believe gipton pit closed in 1921.then there was neville hill,east end park and a few on york road including white horse pit.....have we all done this before??    
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wiggy wrote: Brandy wrote: when i was younger my grandad used to tell me that below us(on the gipton estate) there used to be miles of old mine shafts and he told me that the hills circled in red are actually slag heaps my gran used to look for coal on the 'pit hill',on gipton,the slag heap as it was then,the one on your picture was much bigger,it was reduced in size after aberfan,then again when they built the old folks home in the 80s.i believe gipton pit closed in 1921.then there was neville hill,east end park and a few on york road including white horse pit.....have we all done this before?? Behind the firms on the left on York Road as you climb to the shaftsbury there's a large spoil heap worth looking for if you drive out that way (crash)...........

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

The Parksider wrote: wiggy wrote: Brandy wrote: when i was younger my grandad used to tell me that below us(on the gipton estate) there used to be miles of old mine shafts and he told me that the hills circled in red are actually slag heaps my gran used to look for coal on the 'pit hill',on gipton,the slag heap as it was then,the one on your picture was much bigger,it was reduced in size after aberfan,then again when they built the old folks home in the 80s.i believe gipton pit closed in 1921.then there was neville hill,east end park and a few on york road including white horse pit.....have we all done this before?? Behind the firms on the left on York Road as you climb to the shaftsbury there's a large spoil heap worth looking for if you drive out that way (crash)........... yeah thats right mate,also a big one in east end park,known locally as 'elephants back'.

Si

Post by Si »

I've a book somewhere which has an old picture of a backfilled bell-pit. It was in Leeds city centre and discovered when foundations were cut for a new building. The bell-pit is clearly visible in the section and is the exact shape of a hand bell!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Si wrote: I've a book somewhere which has an old picture of a backfilled bell-pit. It was in Leeds city centre and discovered when foundations were cut for a new building. The bell-pit is clearly visible in the section and is the exact shape of a hand bell! yeah i've got that pic...it was lower briggate or boar lane i think.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Si wrote: I've a book somewhere which has an old picture of a backfilled bell-pit. It was in Leeds city centre and discovered when foundations were cut for a new building. The bell-pit is clearly visible in the section and is the exact shape of a hand bell! yeah i've got that pic...it was lower briggate or boar lane i think.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

wiggy wrote: Brandy wrote: when i was younger my grandad used to tell me that below us(on the gipton estate) there used to be miles of old mine shafts and he told me that the hills circled in red are actually slag heaps my gran used to look for coal on the 'pit hill',on gipton during the war,the slag heap as it was then,the one on your picture was much bigger,it was reduced in size after aberfan,then again when they built the old folks home in the 80s.i believe gipton pit closed in 1921.then there was neville hill,east end park and a few on york road including white horse pit.....have we all done this before??     yes wiggy im quite sure we have been here before lol it's like ground hog day sometimes this site but i still love it !     
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Si

Post by Si »

Brandy wrote: wiggy wrote: Brandy wrote: when i was younger my grandad used to tell me that below us(on the gipton estate) there used to be miles of old mine shafts and he told me that the hills circled in red are actually slag heaps my gran used to look for coal on the 'pit hill',on gipton during the war,the slag heap as it was then,the one on your picture was much bigger,it was reduced in size after aberfan,then again when they built the old folks home in the 80s.i believe gipton pit closed in 1921.then there was neville hill,east end park and a few on york road including white horse pit.....have we all done this before??     yes wiggy im quite sure we have been here before lol it's like ground hog day sometimes this site but i still love! See Rolarena!!!!! Is that Sonny & Cher I can hear?!