Coal Mines in Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
history

Post by history »

The Parksider wrote: history wrote: I am trying to find any information out regard a pit what was called cud hill pit, moortop, it belonged to farnley iron company in leeds...the pit was up the A58 (whitehall road )and was near the woodcock It was next to Cud Hill farm, and today the site is an industrial company. The pit was sunk probably around the turn of the century with a main shaft and ventilation shaft, and it mined both ironstone and Coal so I asume it was a farnley Ironworks job. It was worked out probably around 1930 and probably around the 80's the spoil heaps may have been taken for M621 embankment - this being a wild guess!!!!That's my best potted history, sorry no more detail! Thankyou for that, have you ever spoke to anyone who remembers it,

jim

Post by jim »

I am trying to positively identify the site of "Lower Collieries", Drighlington, extant c1800. I have searched the maps available to me, but most coal sites in the area do not have names attributed to them.Can anyone help?

geoffb

Post by geoffb »

Hi JimWhen the old gas offices at New Lane Drig, were being demolished in the early 1970s there were some records of coal deliveries from the coal wharf on Aldwalton Lane. We made some inquiries out of interest at the time and found some evidence of a pit adjacent to the coal wharf, pity we cant access those records now. I presumed at the time it was delivered by either rail or horse and cart to the gas works. If my memory serves me well I think Aldwalton Lane is now Bradford Road

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

The 1893 map shows that the coal wharf was just north of Adwalton lane at the end of a tramway from Waterloose pit . there seem to have been a number of collieries there over the years.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

39 years ago today since the Lofthouse Pit disaster. No chance of another mining disaster around Leeds now.

book

Post by book »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: 39 years ago today since the Lofthouse Pit disaster. No chance of another mining disaster around Leeds now. Yep, I walked over the site a few days ago, it's a nature reserve and golf course now.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

book wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: 39 years ago today since the Lofthouse Pit disaster. No chance of another mining disaster around Leeds now. Yep, I walked over the site a few days ago, it's a nature reserve and golf course now. Lest we forget those boys who fought(and died) for the "black stuff".....
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

SteamKaos

Post by SteamKaos »

Just visited the Miners Memorial in Allerton Bywater. Very well done. Very moving. List of all those who died at Allerton Bywater pit listed (including my Great Uncle). In the middle of all those new houses - maybe it keeps the history of the place alive.    

jim

Post by jim »

I can't find a SL reference to an interesting (to me!) set of local mining assessment maps I found on the net, so I will give them a mention. Apologies if I am repeating any earlier post that I haven't come across.Google "leeds coal authority" and you will find a link to pdfs for three Leeds/West Yorks area maps:-1) Plan of coal mining risk.2) Specific coal mining legacy.3) Surface coal resources.Lots of fascinating info. to be gleaned, though I did find the time waiting for different scales to load to be annoying!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

"leeds coal authority" Fascinating stuff...thanks Jim.