Asket Hall Census History....

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Loz123

Post by Loz123 »

Hi i read the earlier thread and was in agreement that the house was lovely, it also got me thinking who could possible live in a house like this in leeds and not be well known to us...i started to look in the census pages after much research i found...1871 CensusAskett Hill & Askett Hill Coach HouseHead of the main house was a Jonathan Andrews Whalley he was a Clock merchant & Land owner born1842 in Leeds, he was married to Euphemia Watson Whalley born in 1849 in Montreal, Canada. they had 4 childrenJessie Annette Whalley aged 6 yearsAda Whalley aged 5 yearsWilliam Garstang Whalley aged 3 yearsRobert Ferrier Whalley aged under monthThey had 4 servants in the main housemy search wouldn't have taken so long if they hadn't moved by the 1881 census to ilkley... so back to Asket Hill....1881 Census finally found... Askett Hill again...Head of the main house was a Thomas Green Born in 1811, Palethorpe, Nottinghamshire his occupation is Mechanical Engineer. He is married to Sarah Green born in 1829 in Dewsbury. they had a Grandson living with them at that time called Thomas William Green Born 1860 in Middlesex, London, he is also a Mechanical Engineer.... now...1891 Census thankfully they haven't moved and renamed it Askett Hall...Thomas Green is 80 years and is a Steam Engine & Machine manufacturer.. living with him is is wife Sarah and a Daughter called Elizabeth aged 32 years, they had 1 housemaid a Waiting housemaid and cook...Askett Hall CottageJohn Merrick aged 27 years he is the Coachman & Domestic Servant he lived with his wife Mary and Son Percy aged 4 years.(You can find info on thomas Green on Wikipedia where it says... "Thomas Green & son LTD were engineers who manufactured a wide range of products at Smithfield Foundry Leeds. "It says loads more but i cannot write it all...Sadly by 1901 he had died his wife lived Springwood Road aged 72 years... she lived with a Ladys Companion, Cook and Housemaid.So back to Asket Hall....1901 Census finally found after loads of messing about...again it was called Asket Hill...Joseph Boyle Head of main house, aged 47 years he was a brick maufacturer, he married Emelie Boyle aged 44 years, they had 3 children living with them calledJohn Boyle 19 years occup. Brick maunfacturer ( then underneath it says learning the business)Henry K Boyle aged 13 yearsLouis E Boyle aged 2 yearsThey had 1 servant, 1 cook and a nurse... in the Coach house wasIsaac Holmes aged 39, Coachman and his wife Elizabeth aged 37 years...Hope this helps.... answer some questions... although i'm not sure why they changed its name so many times.... but it looks like the photo on Leodis is when Thomas Green owned it as it says its name as Asket Hall...What does veryone else think?
laura hustler

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

i think you have done swimmingly old chap! fred dibna,god rest his soul,could of done an entire series from that house alone.i love the fact that the elephant man was living there too!...well done buddy,well done indeed!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Loz123

Post by Loz123 »

Yeah i thought that about John Merrick too... wonder if he was a relation...
laura hustler

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Loz123 wrote: Yeah i thought that about John Merrick too... wonder if he was a relation... bet he scared the manure out of his horses if he was !    

Loz123

Post by Loz123 »

As John Merrick never married he cannot be the one... disappointing i know... it could have meant they was an elephant mans son that had probably breed in Leeds... arghh!!!! think who could be related.... i can think of a few people who actually could have some of his features He ! He! could it possible be true i will ask them!
laura hustler

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

yes..i can think of a few belters aswell.....sorry for calling you a chap...dave..x

Loz123

Post by Loz123 »

It's fine... i have to say i am not usually called chap... but i don't mind...
laura hustler

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Loz123 wrote: It's fine... i have to say i am not usually called chap... but i don't mind... you should...and i am profusely sorry...

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Hi Loz - its suggested to me that you've 'Got a subscription to Ancestry'! I know there will have been a lot of research there to glean all that information. The census takers in those days were prone to slips and misunderstanding terms and names, do you think this, or perhaps a poorly written a/i in the address could be the reason for Hill becoming Hall and back again?Well done with the effort.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

chameleon wrote: Hi Loz - its suggested to me that you've 'Got a subscription to Ancestry'! I know there will have been a lot of research there to glean all that information. The census takers in those days were prone to slips and misunderstanding terms and names, do you think this, or perhaps a poorly written a/i in the address could be the reason for Hill becoming Hall and back again?Well done with the effort. I would go along with that Chameleon,there are regular errors made in the various census.the pages you can see at an archive or on ancestry are original,but they are a transcription taken from the persons who actually conducted the census in a physical manner,known as the Enumerator,of which there were many.They collected the information on each house hold on the Monday after the sunday evening that each census was conducted.They collected it in two ways,either by a written return from the householder (which were ALL destroyed after use,DAMN!!!!)or as in a lot of cases verbally from the householder.Usually the verbal way was used by the illiterate,of which there were a very high number as we know.However the various inhabitants of Asket Hall in all the census seem to have been educated to quite a degree,befitting of an owner who can live in such a place.So the error would probably been at the stage between the censusEnumerator and the clerks who compiled and reviewed the census data,as some of these are very difficult to read then we can only guess at the condition of the original forms that were collected or filled in at the doorstep by the enumerator.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]