Plant growth that was by Victoria Bridge.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Plant growth that was by Victoria Bridge.

Post by Leodian »

For most if not all of 2018 there was plant growth on Victoria Bridge near the Water Lane junction. It was quite nice to see, particularly when the buddleia part of the growth was in blossom. Passing by on January 31 2019 I noticed that the plants had been cleared away. I don't know when that was done but the growth was still there to at least late into 2018. These are 3 photos that I took at the location. The first was taken on July 19 2018 and shows the buddleia in bloom and the vigorous growth of what I think is ivy. The second is a view from the same spot on January 31 2019 and the third shows a general view of the area taken from there on also on that date.
PlantsVictoriaBridgeLeedsJuly192018..jpg
PlantsVictoriaBridgeLeedsJuly192018..jpg (202.34 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
NoPlantsVictoriaBridgeLeedsJan312019..jpg
NoPlantsVictoriaBridgeLeedsJan312019..jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
AViewFromVictoriaBridgeLeedsJan312019..jpg
AViewFromVictoriaBridgeLeedsJan312019..jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Re: Plant growth that was by Victoria Bridge.

Post by tyke bhoy »

Did you look over the wall? The budliea may have died or been chopped back as it certainly appears both from you photo and inspection of streetview that it is growing from the end of the car park over the wall. The ivy will definitely have had to be chopped back at the least.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

tyke bhoy wrote:Did you look over the wall? The budliea may have died or been chopped back as it certainly appears both from you photo and inspection of streetview that it is growing from the end of the car park over the wall. The ivy will definitely have had to be chopped back at the least.
Hi tyke bhoy :).

I did not look over the wall so I do not know if the buddleia growths by the car park had also been removed or at least cut back. It had surprised me that the plant growth by the bridge was allowed to grow so profusely before it was removed there.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I suspect the prolific growth of ivy may have had something to do with the spread. The council tend to deploy weedkiller only once or twice a year to areas where they don't need to visit more often to carry out grass cutting for example. Note for council read council contractors.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/