Large short-term non-electronic adverts on buildings.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Large short-term non-electronic adverts on buildings.

Post by Leodian »

Large non-electronic adverts have appeared over many years now on buildings in Leeds. Some of the most eye-catching ones have been those covering much of some very tall buildings. Some adverts stay up for quite a while but some only a few days. These are photos that I took of 3 adverts on the same building in Briggate. The ones taken on September 27 and October 18 2018 were very soon changed and I expect that taken on November 12 will soon come down. Somewhere in my collection of photos I have some taken up to many years back of adverts on very tall buildings which I may add in due course. I have though what will only be a very small number of such large adverts that have appeared. The change in adverts over the years might provide an interesting unusual history.
AdvertOnBriggateLeedsSept272018..jpg
AdvertOnBriggateLeedsSept272018..jpg (118.33 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
AdvertOnBriggateLeedsOct182018..jpg
AdvertOnBriggateLeedsOct182018..jpg (128.08 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
AdvertOnBriggateLeedsNov122018..jpg
AdvertOnBriggateLeedsNov122018..jpg (104.94 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re: Large short-term non-electronic adverts on buildings.

Post by Leodian »

These are 3 older photos of adverts on tall buildings. The first photo was taken from Boar Lane on 6 or 14 July 2002 and shows an Audi Cabriolet advert on the Royal Exchange House (City Square/Boar Lane junction) that was being converted to become the Park Plaza Hotel. The second photo was taken from Boar Lane on 27 July 2002 and shows a Coca Cola advert on the same building as the first photo. The third photo was taken from Millennium Square on 12 November 2005 and shows an iPod advert over the Leeds Mechanics Institute building that was being converted to become the Leeds Museum.
AudiCabrioletAdvertOnWhatBecameParkPlazaHotelFromBoarLaneLeedsTaken06Or14July2002...jpg
AudiCabrioletAdvertOnWhatBecameParkPlazaHotelFromBoarLaneLeedsTaken06Or14July2002...jpg (75.3 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
CocaColaAdvertOnWhatBecameParkPlazaHotelFromBoarLaneLeedsTaken27July2002.jpg
CocaColaAdvertOnWhatBecameParkPlazaHotelFromBoarLaneLeedsTaken27July2002.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
iPodAdvertOnLeedsMechanicsInstUnderRenovationToBeLeedsMuseumByMillenniumSquareLeedsTaken12Nov2005..jpg
iPodAdvertOnLeedsMechanicsInstUnderRenovationToBeLeedsMuseumByMillenniumSquareLeedsTaken12Nov2005..jpg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Back in the days when all firms had to have a "Mission Statement" I remember seeing one writ large on the outside of an Insurance Company office (not in Leeds btw) about 10 stories high. My employer at the time printed its own mission statement on small card for every employee to keep in their wallet/purse.

I wonder how we ever managed to do anything at work before mission statements were invented? I'm retired so I don't know whether firms still have mission statements or has some new gimmick become fashionable.?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Mission statements are still arround although "strap lines" have probably overtaken them. "Opening doors, opening minds" is a Leeds based example.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Or in the case of politicians: Self satisfaction in , morality and caring out