Excessive pondweed growth at the old graving docks by Granary Wharf, Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Excessive pondweed growth at the old graving docks by Granary Wharf, Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

One thing that has become very obvious over recent weeks is that there is a lot more pondweed growth even in rivers such as the River Aire by the Brewery Wharf and nearby areas. I was still though very surprised to see the very excessive pondweed growth in the two old graving docks (dry docks) in the Granary Wharf area, Leeds, when I was there on August 16 2018. I guess one cause will be the recent very warm weather and with little rain the water flow on the river may be much slower. The weather effect will likely be more pronounced in the old graving docks that may have little in/out flow of water from the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. These are 2 photos I took of the first old graving dock near the first (last!) lock on the canal. The photos do not show that the graving dock is connected to the canal and so barges are often moored in the dock. Presumably the heavy pondweed growth suggests there have not been many moorings recently.
PondWeedAtOldGravingDock(DryDock)GranaryWharfAreaLeedsAug162018(1)..jpg
PondWeedAtOldGravingDock(DryDock)GranaryWharfAreaLeedsAug162018(1)..jpg (186.75 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
PondWeedAtOldGravingDock(DryDock)GranaryWharfAreaLeedsAug162018(2)..jpg
PondWeedAtOldGravingDock(DryDock)GranaryWharfAreaLeedsAug162018(2)..jpg (196.69 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.