Pipework going on near York Street.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Re: Pipework going on near York Street.

Post by blackprince »

dogduke wrote:Vitalenergi.co.uk
The
Leeds PIPES project.

Heat from the incinerator will be used to provide heating and hot water for council housing and
business premise within reach.
£35 million pound is the more than modest cost.

All it has done so far is cause horrendous traffic congestion due to road closures.

20 minutes to get from Stanley Road to St James main gate - 400 yards?

I remember the Council Destructor's ( Waste incineration and rubbish disposal) Site on Stanley Road, They used the energy from burning waste to power the site. Very advanced for its time -circa 1907!!. There's nothing new under the sun :) It was still running in the 1950's. I can't imagine it survived long after the clean air act came into force in the 60's.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

The Stanley Road Destructor was modernised several years ago to provide concrete bays for cars to reverse up to them for people to tip their stuff into the appropriate skip.
It all worked very well until someone decided that a new school was needed.
We now have the Florence Nightingale Academy on the site.No confusion with the now demolished pub.
2 miles to Meanwood Road or about 4 miles to Seacroft
Coal Road now to tip
No shortage of fly tippers locally.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

warringtonrhino wrote:They are 500mm diameter district heating pipes.
In which case they would need to be able to expand and contract. I would guess they will need to be insulated and have some clear space in the ground to expand into. Likely they will also keep the road from freezing too :lol: