Secret Aircraft Factory Yeadon.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Secret Aircraft Factory Yeadon.

Post by volvojack »

When War broke out in 1939 Avro built a secret Aircraft Factory next to Yeadon Airport. It was the largest single unit in Europe covering one million and a half Square feet in area. There were approx. 17,500 people employed there helping to make 700 Lancaster Bombers and over 300 Ansons.
So Interesting to read about on Google "Avro Factory Yeadon "

tyke bhoy

Re: Secret Aircraft Factory Yeadon.

Post by tyke bhoy »

A secret Leeds thread on it that is 11 years old an hasn't been added to in very nearly 10 http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=227

Also a few more hits per Jack's suggested search https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=avro+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Fascinating stuff. I like the idea of a secret airport factory that was probably well known (at least locally) :).

If I ever have a quick need to mention the airport I still instantly call it Yeadon Airport. Only if I have time to think will I call it Leeds and Bradford International Airport (which I think is its name).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I remember cycling and driving past it as a boy 15 or so years after the war and it was still well camouflaged. I never realised how large it was.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Leodian"]Fascinating stuff. I like the idea of a secret airport factory that was probably well known (at least locally) :).

If I ever have a quick need to mention the airport I still instantly call it Yeadon Airport. Only if I have time to think will I call it Leeds and Bradford International Airport (which I think is its name)

As you say it was more than likely that locals had a very goood idea of what was being built but as things / words were not so easily passed around in those days it is likely that
"Leeds and Bradford Municipal Aerodrome" only had a limited flying service and i think only when a second Runway had beed added and Flights began to Jersey etc. did the name change.
The R.A.F. opened a Station in the mid 1930s and when my Brother was Stationed there until 1954 it was still called R.A.F. Yeadon

tilly

Post by tilly »

I always call it Leeds and Bradford but then i still call Leeds Minster Leeds Parish Church.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

tilly wrote:I always call it Leeds and Bradford but then i still call Leeds Minster Leeds Parish Church.
The little voice in my head still calls it Yeadon Aerodrome but I then correct it to Leeds (&) Bradford before brain engages mouth.
Similarly, to me MCR International will always be Ringway and Liverpool John Lennon -Speke.

One bit of pointless knowledge is that Leeds-Bradford is the highest altitude commercial airport operating in the UK. I have never flown from there so I don't know if flights get cancelled more often in bad weather than at lower lying airfields.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

There are a lot of Pictures On Google "Planes Landing at Leeds and Bradford Airport" which describe and show Landings and how Terified some Passengere were as some Planes had to approach the Landing strip sideways due to strong Cross winds etc. Even more on Youtube.
Never used it much myself years ago.