Pork pies have been dropped from the UK shopping basket list.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Pork pies have been dropped from the UK shopping basket list.

Post by Leodian »

There are some Secret Leeds threads about pork pies. Though not directly relevant to those threads I notice that pork pies have been dropped from the list of items used in calculating the cost of a UK shopping basket and hence the cost of food inflation rate. Oh, and a full leg waxing has also been dropped!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: Pork pies have been dropped from the UK shopping basket list.

Post by volvojack »

Leodian"]There are some Secret Leeds threads about pork pies. Though not directly relevant to those threads I notice that pork pies have been dropped from the list of items used in calculating the cost of a UK shopping basket and hence the cost of food inflation rate. Oh, and a full leg waxing has also been dropped!

Today March 14th. is World Pi Day

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

volvojack wrote:Leodian"]There are some Secret Leeds threads about pork pies. Though not directly relevant to those threads I notice that pork pies have been dropped from the list of items used in calculating the cost of a UK shopping basket and hence the cost of food inflation rate. Oh, and a full leg waxing has also been dropped!

Today March 14th. is World Pi Day
I can think of 3.14159 (groan) reasons why pies have been dropped from the list, not least the lard ridden tasteless brown and pink supermarket bought pap that passes for pork pies these days which is enough to put anyone off them permanently.

How I long for one of Bradbury's fine offerings. ;)

tilly

Post by tilly »

Bentleys in Pudsey do a nice pork pie.Leg waxing dont talk to me about leg waxing i can only go once a month now i might give it up altogether and eat more bananas . :lol: :lol: :lol:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Duke2john

Post by Duke2john »

My favourite pork pie has to be from allums in Wakefield but since the roads were altered to one way you can't drive to near the shop and I'm too disabled to walk to the shop.they are beautiful pies also lovely meat.what a crying shame

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In 1957 i was demobbed out of the RAF. and took various jobs on a temporary basis and one of them was working at Bradley's Butchers and sandwich shop on Duncan Street / Whip yard corner. The only reason i worked there was 'cos my pal Barry Smith had been demobbed on the same day and we went job hunting together.
This shop opened at 8 am. and we sold Pork pies and Sandwiches all throughout the morning. First thing in the morning it was folks coming in with large orders for pies and pork or beef sandwiches, this was the days when nearly everyone was in work. One of our early jobs was to take these large jugs of Hot Gravy, make a hole in the pie and fill it.
After some time these trays of pies had set ans upstairs to the shop they would go, We did 100s and 100 of these and the skin from your thumb was sore from breaking the crust. ( don't know what health and safety would make of this nowadays ) The place was spotless, the pies and bread cakes were baked on their own premises down by the Calls. The Shop was busy nonstop and on the other side of the place they sold uncooked meats etc After a few weeks i left
Last edited by volvojack on Wed 19 Sep, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi volvojack Did you find it hard to make both ends meet(meat) He He.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tilly"]Hi volvojack Did you find it hard to make both ends meet(meat) He He.[

No but i struggled to make a Crust .

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

volvojack wrote:
tilly wrote:Hi volvojack Did you find it hard to make both ends meet(meat) He He.[

No but i struggled to make a Crust .

But was the job a fulfilling experience?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

We were happy at our work, often singing along "Standpie your man"....."Somewhere over the Rainbow Weigh a Pie"........and "It was all over my Gelatine (Jealousy )"