St james street

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: St james street

Post by volvojack »

Good Afternoon Leodian,
Some time ago i seem to remember you posting a picture of some Carving or Emblem high up on a building on New York Street. Although it looks a much different Colour stonework. Do you remember what it was ?
Next door to it was Pilkingtons Glass (Now Mecca Bingo) Not the widest of Building's but maybe just possibly have some connection with what is under discussion.

The bottom was a Sandwich shop in those days and i see by the Picture i have found that it is still a sort of Sandwich place these days.
I am Not sure that if the folks buying food from either there or the Coop would do so if they knew the history of the area.

Firstly the opposite side of Cross York Street to the Schoolroom was a succession of Wholesale meat sellers up to the Ice House and it seemed that there where the minimal health checks. Carcases were carried out and loaded into Vehicles ect.
..............................................................................................................................
As regards the Slaughter House on New York Street . The Storage underneath that was used by the Wholesale Fruit Market had Rats by the Thousands. Not surprising as the Beasts / Cattle were Driven from Marsh lane Rail yards to be killed.##

I certainly would not want one of those Ground Floor Apartments around that area.

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

Thanks for linking my photo, I didn't make the connection when I read the thread. The info I gave is from a YEP article: https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-2255251

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

volvojack wrote:Good Afternoon Leodian,
Some time ago i seem to remember you posting a picture of some Carving or Emblem high up on a building on New York Street. Although it looks a much different Colour stonework. Do you remember what it was ?
Next door to it was Pilkingtons Glass (Now Mecca Bingo) Not the widest of Building's but maybe just possibly have some connection with what is under discussion.

The bottom was a Sandwich shop in those days and i see by the Picture i have found that it is still a sort of Sandwich place these days.
I am Not sure that if the folks buying food from either there or the Coop would do so if they knew the history of the area.

Firstly the opposite side of Cross York Street to the Schoolroom was a succession of Wholesale meat sellers up to the Ice House and it seemed that there where the minimal health checks. Carcases were carried out and loaded into Vehicles ect.
..............................................................................................................................
As regards the Slaughter House on New York Street . The Storage underneath that was used by the Wholesale Fruit Market had Rats by the Thousands. Not surprising as the Beasts / Cattle were Driven from Marsh lane Rail yards to be killed.##

I certainly would not want one of those Ground Floor Apartments around that area.
Hi Jack :).

Thanks to hyperion3 for kindly providing the link to the original thread.

Other than where images have a direct link to a web address it seems that photos are no longer displayed in Secret Leeds threads (or are badly distorted) unless it is just a fault of my system. As the images I originally posted are no longer brought up I have added them again here. I'm not sure but I think the building is actually on York Street and not the New York Street part of that 'road'.

Digressing somewhat I do think that the 'New' part of road names is no longer needed. New Briggate, New York Road, New York Street come to mind!
BuildingOnYorkStreetLeedsNov192014..jpg
BuildingOnYorkStreetLeedsNov192014..jpg (98.25 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
FeatureOnBuildingOnYorkStreetLeedsNov192014(1)..jpg
FeatureOnBuildingOnYorkStreetLeedsNov192014(1)..jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
FeatureOnBuildingOnYorkStreetLeedsNov192014(2)..jpg
FeatureOnBuildingOnYorkStreetLeedsNov192014(2)..jpg (101.46 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

polos

Post by polos »

Although you wouldn't find this in a leodis search for St James here is another glimpse of the church

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULL