Legs in City Square.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Legs in City Square.

Post by Leodian »

A sculpture of legs has very recently been installed in City Square so I have added 3 photos that I took of the artwork on February 8 2018.

In information that I've seen it stated the sculpture ('Legs Walking, 2001') was made by a local artist Kenneth Armitage and had previously stood in the waterfront area. It is owned by a private collector and has been put on temporary display. I think the collector is taking a risk, so I hope the sculpture does not get vandalised. The first two photos show the 'Legs' and the third is a close-up of the plate giving some details about the work and its artist. The object apparently sticking out on top of the fawn leg in the first photo is not part of the sculpture but is part of Mill Hill Chapel (as I usually take quick snapshots I'm not very good when taking photos at checking for anything that should ideally not be in view :oops: ).
'LegsWalking2001'SculptureCitySquareLeedsFeb082018(1)..jpg
'LegsWalking2001'SculptureCitySquareLeedsFeb082018(1)..jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
'LegsWalking2001'SculptureCitySquareLeedsFeb082018(2)..jpg
'LegsWalking2001'SculptureCitySquareLeedsFeb082018(2)..jpg (121.4 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
'LegsWalking2001'SculptureCitySquareLeedsFeb082018(3)..jpg
'LegsWalking2001'SculptureCitySquareLeedsFeb082018(3)..jpg (105.57 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Re: Legs in City Square.

Post by tilly »

I did not look at posts so posted about this on wrong forum i did not know Leodian had posted photographs it does nothing for me .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

It's telling you to walk away if you don't like it Sid!

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Leodian"]A sculpture of legs has very recently been installed in City Square so I have added 3 photos that I took of the artwork on February 8 2018.

In information that I've seen it stated the sculpture ('Legs Walking, 2001') was made by a local artist Kenneth Armitage and had previously stood in the waterfront area. It is owned by a private collector and has been put on temporary display. I think the collector is taking a risk, so I hope the sculpture does not get vandalised. The first two photos show the 'Legs' and the third is a close-up of the plate giving some details about the work and its artist. The object apparently sticking out on top of the fawn leg in the first photo is not part of the sculpture but is part of Mill Hill Chapel (as I usually take quick snapshots I'm not very good when taking photos at checking for anything that should ideally not be in view .
Regarding your concerns as to these being found vandalised the Police should Interview Gene Autry (you have to be old to remember his Song) or Rolf Harris. Personally i would have Kenneth Armitage sued for Cruelty to Plastic. Just my opinion.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya Jack :).

You state "Regarding your concerns as to these being found vandalised the Police should Interview Gene Autry (you have to be old to remember his Song) or Rolf Harris". Though I know of Gene Autry (the 'Singing Cowboy') I don't recall ever seeing his films. His final ones would however have been at the cinema when I was still a kid but I don't know what song of his is being referred to. As to Rolf Harris I'm guessing it's his 'Jake the Peg' with an extra leg song ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Jim and Leodian Its not type of art i dont know about walking away Jim more like running away .
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian " Hiya Jack "

You state "Regarding your concerns as to these being found vandalised the Police should Interview Gene Autry (you have to be old to remember his Song) or Rolf Harris". Though I know of Gene Autry (the 'Singing Cowboy') I don't recall ever seeing his films. His final ones would however have been at the cinema when I was still a kid but I don't know what song of his is being referred to. As to Rolf Harris I'm guessing it's his 'Jake the Peg' with an extra leg song

Sorry 'bout that. Roy Rogers sang "Four Legged Friend" to his Horse "Trigger" in just about every Film.
This Horse always said "Thank you Dave" after every song...... Why was That ?

Gene Autry was a little before your time and he sang whilst riding "Champion The Wonder Horse"

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

Just seen on Leeds Civic Trusts Facebook Page. Apparently The artwork was sponsored by upmarket burger chain Five Guys and the three legs pub.So that's five guys with two leg's each making 10 leg's plus 3 from the three legs pub. that's 13 leg's so what happened to the other 8 legs will they be along anytime soon or have we missed them.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian,
Having looked a little more at these Pictures of Kenneth Armatiges Works of Art (?) i have just realised the sheer size of these things. Am i missing something as i don't seem to see anything special apart from they are an eyesore and as for the one outside the Civic Hall / Infirmary "Both Arms" 16 mtrs. high I honestly believe it's a case of the "Emperor's New Clothes"and wonder why Folks don't like to come out and say it. This area has now been renamed after Nelson Mandela i am informed at a cost of over over 12 Million Pounds. Now they can have Pop Concerts, German Markets at Christmas Time.
This was a place where in the Warm weather Patient's where sometimes wheeled or walked across by their family to sit on Garden seats by the flower gardens.

That Castleford Lad, Henry Moore His Pieces of Marble with a Hole in.
"A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever "

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Actually to me they look more like "Kinky Boots" (old song by Avengers stars Patrick McNee and Diana Rigg)
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!