Football Pitches.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: Football Pitches.

Post by volvojack »

Watching Professional Football on T.V. it seems that each time a Player scores he runs to the corner of the the pitch and then slides along on his knees, If he had done that on the East End Park
years ago he would have been a cripple as all the pitches were a type of shale with only grass by the Corner Flags.
We used to walk from Mt.St. Mary's School to E.E. Park, get changed in the open, play on a full size pitch, No Goal nets, Corner Flags etc.
Only bonus was walking home to the Gipton Estate we would cross the Allotments and drag up a Turnip./Swede and gnaw at it all the way up York Road. (Late 1940s we would eat anything)

paulslo

Post by paulslo »

volvojack wrote:
Tue 02 Jan, 2018 3:56 pm
Many many years ago we played some Schools on a pitch that not only was it on a steep slope but has a sort of bend halfway up. the result was when standing on the Goal line at the bottom it was just possible to see the Crossbar at the other end. From memory it was somewhere bordering on Hunslet and a road up to Belle Isle. I
seem to remember there was a Cemetery and a Pub. quite close by.
Most Peculiar , I wonder if anyone remembers it.
Don't suppose it was called the Pineapple ? I think the first letter might have been P.
The pitch was there in the late 1960's and early 1970's between Urn Farm and the new extension to Hunslet Cemetery, and was a good stone's throw from the Windmill Stores (which are still there). The nearest pub was indeed the Parnaby Tavern

paulslo

Post by paulslo »

PS. It was just off Middleton Road

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

When I was about 10 I got my first pair of leather football boots. The toecap was solid, they had two straps over the laces and pieces of leather both sides of the ankles; two pairs of shinpads and some newspaper down your socks and it was a wonder you could walk, never mind play soccer.

Does anyone remember tins of Dubbin?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Can still buy it, use it on saddles tho
Attachments
Dubbin.jpg
Dubbin.jpg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 3452 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

B.S. If it is as you say perhaps they should rebrand it as "Dobbin".

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Jack,

Although rugby was my main sport at school, I also played football (goalkeeper), as my school (Leeds Modern School) played both sports. I remember that around 1960, I played in some kind of competition at the Oldfield Lane Football Ground, in Armley/Wortley. At that time, this was the 'Wembley' for Leeds schools football. I only ever played there once and have never known much about it. However, I saw this article about the ground, which may be of interest to you:

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds ... d-15647446

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello Ian, I never ever got to play on Oldfield Lane ground but watched lots of cup finals there.

Don't think Billy B. was ever at a Leeds school because i remember a picture of Don Revie pleading with him not to sign for any other club when he was about 17yrs.

tomq

Post by tomq »

volvojack wrote:
Mon 02 Mar, 2020 11:43 am
Hello Ian, I never ever got to play on Oldfield Lane ground but watched lots of cup finals there.

Don't think Billy B. was ever at a Leeds school because i remember a picture of Don Revie pleading with him not to sign for any other club when he was about 17yrs.
Hi Jack. One of us has a faulty memory. I seem to remember that Bremner preceded Revie at Elland Rd.
Tom

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Hello Tom, You are correct. It was Harry Reynolds who drove to Scotland and persuaded him to sign for Leeds U.