Whoa new Google earth

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Which ones are those Chameleon? I've just had a look at the air raid shelter on Cross flats park... On the last image all the grass was brown on top. On this one they've cut the grass around it & left on top, It stands out like a sore thumb now! A few in the Crossgate area Phill, the first one I 'lost' was the old sewage filter beds which were in the field behind Seacroft Hospital and treated their waste many years ago - they were four circles in a diamond formation, very clear and could even be traced first hand when I last walked there just last year. Now almost invisible as are a few other small areas, shafts and so on. I supose it could just be the prevailing weather at the time it was shot - grass grows greener when it's wet perhaps!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yes it's far better quality for planning stuff J.F. You can see the arch where the tracks came into Monkbridge from the Whitehall road end, It's been breeze blocked up though, not much to look at, I can see the old track work at Holbeck m.p.d but can't see anything on the gyratory gas works site! Ok thanks Chameleon. It's swings & round abouts really, Somethings are much clearer while we've lost a few things, The main thing is it's a more honest look at what we will find on the ground not like the 5yr out of date thing..
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Si

Post by Si »

I think Fluffysheep is right on the dates. I was on holiday then. My car is outside my house and my work mates cars are outside work.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: I think Fluffysheep is right on the dates. I was on holiday then. My car is outside my house and my work mates cars are outside work. Mentioning your car Si made me look again at my area. From the neighbours cars NOT there, I'm sure it was a week day and from the shadows, I think probably between 11am and 1.00pm. Another clue - I changed my car on 19 June and the new one is sat on my drive on these new images - that was not a sunny day as I remember and the only other weekday I recall my car being at home at those times was Friday 30 June. Friday ties in with Tony's post too.Somewhere there must be a data base giving this info!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Looks like we are in for more of a treat, chanced on this article:http://news.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029 ... mpublished last month promising resolution down to half a metre from another new satalite. Long way removed from beep-beep Sputnik this stuff!

jf

Post by jf »

The Leeds imagery is already better than 1/2 metre - I believe that would mean 1 pixel = 1/2 meter, whereas we already have better than that if you look at cars and road markings etc. I think Leeds must be at least 10cm resolution. I suspect this means the general areas of Google Earth outside of cities which are currently low resolution will be much improved. What I'd love would be a version of Google Earth base on historic aerial photography, e.g. the flyover of the UK done after the second world war to assess bomb damage. I've got to play with some of these images at work on occasions and there's so much to see (sadly I haven't had any for Leeds yet).Phil - PM me an e-mail address (via Flickr if you can't do it here) and I'll send you the historic map for the gasworks which will open in Google Earth in the right place, and you'll see where the lines were. I'm actually wrong on the point where I thought I could see something, but have spotted something elsewhere that looks like a remnant.I'll see if it's possible to add it as an attachment here.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

'The Leeds imagery is already better than 1/2 metre - I believe that would mean 1 pixel = 1/2 meter, whereas we already have better than that if you look at cars and road markings etc. I think Leeds must be at least 10cm resolution. I suspect this means the general areas of Google Earth outside of cities which are currently low resolution will be much improved.' Yes, thinking logically if, you are quite right and I agree looking further that the article could be clearer and would seem to relate to areas which remain very low resolution, some more remote parts of the world are still at 50 75 metres!.I have found a reference which does suggest as you say, that parts of the UK are at 10cm already. I also found the highest reaolution image stated to be 1" per pixel - and that's of Google - Earth Headquarters, of course !

jane666

Post by jane666 »

cool!! i've been looking above my work, seeing if i can see my car, at the end of the industrial estate it looks like there's a 'ghost van' just about to turn left. wierd!? do they overlay photos or something? its at the end of intercity way, swinnow lane bramley ls13 if anyone wants a look or can explain. ???? you have to zoom right in to see it properly.
Get in the tardis. We're off to Manchester 1973

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Thanks J.F... My e-mail add is on my secret Leeds profile... I'm just uploading todays mission on to flickr... I think you'll be interested in this one, think 'new line'.. I'll let you know when there all done mate.. cheers!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Si

Post by Si »

JF - I have two prints from the RAF flyover of Leeds shot in 1947. They were originally "stereoscopic" to show heights of buildings etc. Unfortunately they are not city centre, but of the Armley Gaol area, and they overlap slightly. I'll see if I can post them on here but no promises! (I'm not very computer literate!) The detail is incredible for the time as they were shot on 10X8 film, I believe. There must be only 10 cars in the whole area!CheersSi